Found this beautiful girl depositing her ootheca on my front door =)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M&M

Reaction score
Heddy from Home Depot Bromiliad websized for posting.jpgootheca websized for posting.jpg

My best guess is Stagmomantis limbata, but her wings look too thin for a female limbata. I'll do some more research later and see what I can find (In case someone else doesn't find out first). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...I do not think that mantid on your hand is a female. To me, it looks like a male Iris oratoria. The ooth I believe is Iris oratoria, but did not from the mantid in your hand.

She is probably thin because she just laid an ooth.
I mean the wing shape is too narrow to be a female, especially since ismart and Ntsees say it's a male Iris oratoria.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering about the oothecae laying capabilities of that mantis, it looked a bit dainty for a female. :p

Careful, there seem to be a few transgendered mantids around lately. :rolleyes:

Well, I agree that the ooth is Iris oratorio, but the mantis is, in fact a mantophagus cockroach, Roacheroony

sneekupius. The six legs and two long antennae pointing in roughly the same direction are diagnostic. This roach sneaks up on I. oratorio ooths and eats them, while the other, not-too-bright I.oratorios think that it is one of them checking on her babies.

I'm a newbie and still learning, so I dont know what the species is, but I think that is just so cool

to find that at your front door!! :)

Latest posts