Freeze house fly pupae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGIGA

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
I did a search and found nothing. Anyway, can I freeze house fly pupae and still have them hatch/eclose? How about the larva or adult? ...or eggs?

I've heard of people refridgerating the pupae for a time, but I don't know how long they'll last off hand.

I like Yen's post over here:

http://mantidforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5081

I let the grubs turn into pupa before puting it into the ffridge. When i keep the grubs in the fridge for more than 2 weeks, half of them fail to pupate. I can keep the pupa in the fridge for 3 weeks. ANy longer than that, the blue bottle will still pupate into fly but with mess up wing and unable to fly, which i don't mind at all

Just leave them in the fridge above freezing but close to it. They last for several weeks in my fridge.

What happens if I freeze them?
THey probably die. Never tried it. But if you really want to know why don't you just do it to find out?

What happens if I freeze them?
they will die. i usually put them in the bottom section, but if i need to immobilize them fast, i put them in the freezer for around 1.5 minutes. if i do it for under a minute, sometimes they don't become immobilized. i think around 3-4 minutes in the freezer and they'll die.

freezing pupa will definately kill it. Keep pupa around 50F will last them a long time. House fly pupa usually don't last longer than 3 weeks, hatching rate deteriorate after 2 weeks. Blue bottle fly pupa last longer for some reason.

Latest posts