Freezing flys?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope no one minds me reviving this thread since it's a month old but I was just thinking about this!

I've lost several violin mantises due to not being able to keep a constant, good supply of flies in stock. Supplies that are supposed to last a month last a week and then I have to supplement with "crickets on a stick" (more like "on a needle" but that didn't have as much of a ring to it) until the next batch of flies hatches and feeds, and one by one the violins have been dying off, which I've heard of happening with a cricket diet, even partial - I can't decide whether this or them starving to death is "better", as I have tried looking for other alternatives but there's nothing good locally and nothing to catch outside at the moment.

Since I also keep snakes, and feed them thawed frozen rodents, I was feeding my boas this evening and the idea hit me - why not freeze flies? Hatch them out, feed them well, and drop them in the freezer, then take what you need when you need it and thaw them out for a half hour. Do you think the nutritional value would be too affected by freezing? For snake food, supposedly if only frozen once, there is little nutritional value lost (something like >2%, I believe?) in rodents or birds. I understand that flies or invertebrates are much smaller but if kept in a freezer-appropriate container, could this be a sustaining source of food?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some really good posts on the forum about how to plan out your flies. I think, at most, you should only need deliveries every other week.

I get flies every other week and have a supply of two cockroach colonies on the go just incase and also to vary the diet.

At times if I have an overstock of flies I put them in the fridge for 4days of a week then leave them out for 3 to feed and get fat. It slows them down if you have an overstock but I guess it also makes them last longer, so maybe not freezing them completely but slowing them down would be an idea as well.Just a thought

Latest posts