From Chicago, a new hobbyist approaches!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, pleasure to meet you all.  My name's Lauren, but you can call me Dandy!  I'm working and studying towards becoming an entomologist, and I'm an illustrator as a hobby.  I mostly do pixel art and pen and paper illustrations- I wouldn't dare call myself a professional.  I also enjoy playing and DMing in tabletop (World of Darkness and Pathfinder) campaigns, and playing various video games.  I could go on with a long winded introduction, but the best way to get to know me is just to chat!

I've been wanting to get some mantids for awhile now, and I finally managed to make two living vivariums and purchased two lovely ladies, a very tiny orchid mantis (whom I still haven't thought of a name for) and an Indian flower mantis named Psycho (...mantis).  The breeder I received them gave them plenty to eat before he shipped them, so I haven't had a chance to feed them any flies yet (although Psycho happily accepted some honey).  Are there any tips anyone can give me about taking care of these two?  If possible... I'd love to hear!

^6E7B455389F3E1F9BE16C56FDDB42115B90D1C029AB7FA8A88^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

^E0278B0E1083D1A9DA98D924A9B0B2B3BAB830FDC66A7B954D^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

Welcome Dandy! I've drawn mantis related art, I should draw an actual mantis, haha. I've never had an orchid mantis but it seems like you picked out some great homes for both. I have two Indian flower mantids that I spray once a day and I feed them mini mealworms, they've already molted once. Just make sure that the home isn't too big for your orchid, it might have a hard time finding prey. If you're on instagram I'd love to see some of your artwork! 

I do not have an instagram unfortunately but I do have a DA here.  Yeah, the enclosure is way too big for the little orchid, which worries me.  I have been trying to feed the little guy by relocating her to a feeding enclosure with a lot of flightless fruit flies roaming about, but she's just not eating!  Should I make a temporary enclosure until she grows larger?  I'm using a zoomed bugarium for her.  I was thinking of getting some wax worms or phoenix worms in case they don't feel like eating flies since I've heard mantids can get picky if their prey is always the same.  She's about the size of a nickel.

With my little tiny nymphs I use deli cups, I cut a hole on the lid and hot glue tulle on it for ventilation. I gradually increase the home size as they get bigger. I mostly hand feed them but I'll occasionally throw in a fly for them to hunt. It's a good idea to have different feeders since sometimes they'll become really picky. I would take away any excess feeders and try again in a couple of days. 

Alright i'll give it a shot.  I have a small exoterra cricket pen which i can turn into a temporary viv enclosure.  I can always mix up some more clay background material and seed it with moss.  I thought it was too big, haha...  But thanks!  I'll try to pick up some wax / phoenix worms.  Mealworms work okay too, then?  Only the small ones, right?

I'll take a look but the petcos and petsmarts near where I live now are... scarce.  They don't carry much unfortunately, they don't even have reptiles for sale, and most don't even carry fish.

Okay I set up a very small temporary enclosure for the orchid!  It's much smaller and should be more comfortable for her :)

I also bought some phoenix worms and blue bottle spikes!

Last edited by a moderator:
When should I start worrying when mantids aren't eating?  It's been three days now and neither of them have wanted to eat.

Thank-you everyone!

I'm growing more and more concerned for my orchid mantis.  She hasn't eaten in four days and is starting to look rather skinny.  I've tried offering her fruit flies with tweezers but instead of taking the still flailing fly, she climbs up the tweezers ignoring the food.  

She happily accepts honey, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you everyone!

I'm growing more and more concerned for my orchid mantis.  She hasn't eaten in four days and is starting to look rather skinny.  I've tried offering her fruit flies with tweezers but instead of taking the still flailing fly, she climbs up the tweezers ignoring the food.  

She happily accepts honey, though.
The only explanation I can come up with for why a mantis would stop eating for 4 days is that they are getting ready to molt. Usually they don't stop so early, but sometimes they do. Also, if there are too many fruit flies crawling around her in a small space, she could just be overwhelmed by them and refusing to eat because of that. Also, if she is eating the larger Hydei fruit flies, you might consider offering her the smaller melanogaster fruit flies, maybe she is overwhelmed by the larger fruit flies.  Good luck! I hope she either eats or molts soon!

Latest posts