Front leg not extending

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLR24

Reaction score
We have a Double Shield Mantis. Over the past few days his front leg/arm he won’t extend, just keeps it folded up. He won’t use it to walk or eat...but after a few hours he will occasionally use it again, but then it happens again. Very strange. Anything I should be concerned about? Anyone seen this before?  

Last edited by a moderator:
We need more information. What instar is he? I wouldn't be too concerned. 

- MantisGirl13 

We need more information. What instar is he? I wouldn't be too concerned. 

- MantisGirl13 
You might know more than me! 🤣 (It’s Tina) - it’s the male that molted the night I picked him up. In fact, I’d be interested what instar both of them are, do you happen to know or is there an easy way to tell? I probably should of just messaged you first but didn’t want to bother you about it! ❤️

Oh! Lol 

Hi Tina! The male should be subadult right now, and the female should be presubadult. 

You should make a post in the introduction section of the forum so that everyone can get to know you! 

About the mantid, I wouldn't be worried. He had had a slight mismolt before I gave him to you, nothing bad, just weak limbs. This is probably a side effect from that. 😁

- MantisGirl13 

Oh! Lol 

Hi Tina! The male should be subadult right now, and the female should be presubadult. 

You should make a post in the introduction section of the forum so that everyone can get to know you! 

About the mantid, I wouldn't be worried. He had had a slight mismolt before I gave him to you, nothing bad, just weak limbs. This is probably a side effect from that. 😁

- MantisGirl13 
Annndd now I’m off to look up what mismolts, subadult, and presubadults are! 🤣 Actually I just realized, he DIDN’T molt, it was the female that did. Whoops! Does that change their subadult-ish status? 

Side note, the boys are in love with them! Funny how different the two mantids are - the male is so docile and peaceful, the female is a bit skitsy...🤣

Ok. 

Mismolts are when the mantis doesn't have enough space to molt, falls during molting, or hangs wrong for molting.

Subadult is the stage right before adulthood, and presub (presubadult) is two molts until adulthood.

If the female molted, then she would be probably subadult and the male probably presub. Can I have side view pictures? Then I could tell for sure.

I'm so glad they like them. Ya, mantids have different personalities, and it's so cool to see the difference between two individuals sometimes. 

- MantisGirl13 

Ok. 

Mismolts are when the mantis doesn't have enough space to molt, falls during molting, or hangs wrong for molting.

Subadult is the stage right before adulthood, and presub (presubadult) is two molts until adulthood.

If the female molted, then she would be probably subadult and the male probably presub. Can I have side view pictures? Then I could tell for sure.

I'm so glad they like them. Ya, mantids have different personalities, and it's so cool to see the difference between two individuals sometimes. 

- MantisGirl13 
Left is the male, right female (she seems to hang upside down a lot...).

56F3412D-BDDC-4B6E-BD73-6E22F6CB625C.jpeg

5B9B9308-88C7-4D75-9C5A-058F923876CE.jpeg

Ok. Both look to be the same instar, either both subadult or presub. 

And hanging upside down is normal behaviour, pretty much all mantids spend most of their time like that.

- MantisGirl13 

Ok. Both look to be the same instar, either both subadult or presub. 

And hanging upside down is normal behaviour, pretty much all mantids spend most of their time like that.

- MantisGirl13 
Thank you as always! 🙏🏻❤️

Latest posts