Fruit Flies and Temperature

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwaink

Reaction score
Hi,

Is this stament true: Fruit fly cultures should be kept between 70 and 80 degrees. If the cultures hit 85 degrees even for a little while, the culture will go sterile and will not produce any more flies. The temp got up to 94 degrees in my flie room before i could catch it, hot day. Are all my flies sterile now. Some sites say avoid the 100s. I don't know?

Regards :(

Hmm, I read that before somewhere too... probably the same place. Well, I haven't done any experiments nor does it get that hot inside my house. :D

That is what is said. But I read 90degrees, u will just have to wait and see, if you had maggots in the culture, they may still be ok. I put some outside yesterday to get rid of because they were almost dead, and later when I went to do it, the sun had been out and one culture I though was done, was dated 6/13 had maggots all over the inside of the container and was dead! Poopie, I missed that one somehow, so heat will hurt them, especially sun in a closed container, but if you still see maggots alive, I think they will produce just like the adults!

Did you leave it in direct sunlight? That would kill it for sure even if it wasn't it wasn't 90 degrees outside.
Hi,

It reached 100 degrees here in Portland today. No they weren't in direct sunlight, it just got hot in the room where they are kept. Their is still maggots wiggling around, the flies are still moving around. the Maggie's are still going up the side of the container. The pupate i don't know. As soon as i noticed it i turned the fan on the containers from a little ways away. Stayed at 90 for a long time. Will see what happens. I use four different culture mediums so maybe that will help, dryer wetter etc.

Regards :(

Sounds like ###### to me. Normal room temps are fine.

Yeah, keep the temps down.
[SIZE=10pt]Hi,[/SIZE]

Thanks for the advice. Now when the temps go up the fan comes on. Most did survive the heat, so now it a wait and see. Like Rebeca said if the Maggie's survive the culture might also.

Regards :huh:

Latest posts