Fruit Flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksun

Reaction score
So I have been looking and looking for fruit fly culture sources, and preferably local. My last shot at local flies was to call the University and ask where they get theirs. Needless to say I was quite surprised, they offered me them for free.

I get to pick eye color, sex, size, wings, genetic abnormalities, body color......like designer fruit flies for free!!!!!!!

They only have mels, but that's what I need now. They will also give me their culture recipe, which I will share when received. I figure if a major school breeds millions of fruit flies on this culture it must work. I'm also going to see their breeding setup and equipment which should open my eyes to how to manage these guys in large quantities.

Anyway, I am off tomorrow to pick up my 2000 fruit flies, all blue eyed, blonde winged, and in their late 20's. I told them it didn't have to be 2000 exactly but I think they have an undergrad student they want to make count them :)

You may want to check your local University and see if they can help you out. I'm going to offer them nymph mantids, and try to hook up with a local Entomologist.

I'll post what I garner from my visit, hopefully I'll learn something that will help us all.

Cheers,

Wayne

Hey Wayne, sounds like this might be the beginning of a fruitful relationship! The free custom ff's deal sounds great. Did they say if they had any flightless? If they don't, that seems like it might be the only drawback in this deal. :p Looking forward to seeing their media recipe, and finding out what comes of it all. Best of luck with everything. ;)

Hey Wayne, sounds like this might be the beginning of a fruitful relationship! The free custom ff's deal sounds great. Did they say if they had any flightless? If they don't, that seems like it might be the only drawback in this deal. :p Looking forward to seeing their media recipe, and finding out what comes of it all. Best of luck with everything. ;)
Katnapper, they have flighted and flightless versions, I've asked for the flightless ones. Nice thing is I can go get a couple hundred more in a couple months, mix them in and get new cultures.

I'm really looking forward to seeing their setup, and learning some tricks.

Wayne

Katnapper, they have flighted and flightless versions, I've asked for the flightless ones. Nice thing is I can go get a couple hundred more in a couple months, mix them in and get new cultures.I'm really looking forward to seeing their setup, and learning some tricks.

Wayne
Wow... I think you've made a great find! :D

You can ask if they have some that cook meals and clean house too, that would be ideal !

You can ask them if they give the stuff to them that the octuplets came from, if the flies will reproduce that much faster.. whoo, you could start getting welfare also, just name the fly babies... and you could live off the welfare :rolleyes: you could ask the right person at the university and they could probably even get you birth certificates for each of the blue eyed babies to get welfare on :lol:

That's a good angle on supply. You might ask if they raise bee's also, and if you could get a smidgeon of pollen to sprinkle on the ff's for nutrient supplement for the mantis'.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can ask if they have some that cook meals and clean house too, that would be ideal !You can ask them if they give the stuff to them that the octuplets came from, if the flies will reproduce that much faster.. whoo, you could start getting welfare also, just name the fly babies... and you could live off the welfare :rolleyes: you could ask the right person at the university and they could probably even get you birth certificates for each of the blue eyed babies to get welfare on :lol:

That's a good angle on supply. You might ask if they raise bee's also, and if you could get a smidgeon of pollen to sprinkle on the ff's for nutrient supplement for the mantis'.
Actually I was just going to claim them as dependents on my taxes and apply for credit cards for them :)

I already have a source for powdered bee pollen, all ready to go on that front.

crdit cards, they will be chargin cultures all over the place, have them stop by here too!
They want to finally visit distant relatives in Greece, Prague, Switzerland, and Spain.....they are going to fly galley class... and they told me the Eurorail pass isn't the best deal, they'll be wanting to buy their tickets at the stations....quite the lineup I think but if their payin' who cares :)

I like to smile and hope to have others smile too, I spent most of my life being unhappy, and I WILL not go out that way ;) It's my time now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts