fruit flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebrakacinese

Reaction score
hi every one,just dropped a line about starting a fruit fly culture.I seem to be having trouble getting the medim right either it ends up too soupy or it looks dry.I'm going to use the one i did todat:potato flakes ,water,and vinigar.The water been's in there a little while and it is'nt runny.Thanks to all that bears with me as i'm new ,and have more questions than anything. thans

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been experimenting with different mixes for a few months now, and so far this is the best one for me:

Fruit Fly Medium

1/2 cup Hot Distilled Water

1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2 Tbs. White Sugar

1 Tbs. Powdered Milk

4-6 Tbs. Instant Mashed Potatoes

Pinch Baker’s Yeast

Combine potatoes, milk & sugar together in a small bowl. Mix water & cider vinegar together in measuring cup (add 2 drops blue food coloring, if desired). Stir water & cider mix into potato mixture until it is very moist (it will harden up as it stands, so you want a little TOO much moisture at first.) Allow to cool, sprinkle pinch of yeast on top.

I will note that I seem to have slightly better results with the medium a little dry, as the maggots will regurgitate into it, making it more wet later on. (Gross, I know.) You'll have to just experiment with the moisture content till you find what's right for you.

-Carey Kurtz-

If you continue having trouble with the homemade mixes you can buy medium that will work perfectly and contains mold inhibitor. I prefer to purchase medium from carolina.com

Just a heads up. My recent problem w/ FF cultures is that I seem to have cooked them. I put the jars in my incubation unit and some that were too close to the heat pad seem to be almost completely dead maggots now.

On the other hand, the one at the far end is producing most sweetly!

Here is my media mix:

1part granulated sugar

2 part powdered instant milk

4 part instant potato flakes

I use the 32oz culture cups

for Hydei i'll mix 2/3 cup of dry mix and 1/2 -2/3 cup of spring water (depending on time of year)warmed to touch.

for mels 1/2 cup of dry mix and 1/4 -1/3 cup of spring water (depending on time of year)warmed to touch.

I'll use vinegar in the event of mold contamination .

Also I'll add a heaping 1/4 tsp. of yeast to both types of flies.Not in the mix but on top of the mix after the liquid has been added.

When I put together the dry mix I'll always make enough for a years worth 10- 2 gal containers full( sometimes the sugar settles so each container has to be mixed before using.

I also use aspen excelsior in each culture.

There is always adjustment in all ingredients depending on time of year and yield needs( including the excelsior)

From what I've read over the years most of the supplements added to the media are quickly shed by the flies anyways.The trick may be in dusting if really needed and then not to over supplement as I imagine it could have adverse effects as well.

On a given week i'll generally make 14-20 cultures and have on hand up to 80.But I'm sure everyone has their own methods and I'll want to here them all!!!

Well Orin I'm using your formula for fruitflies and found success,just had to experiment a little with water and vineger measuments work s like a charm Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy to say, my first attempt at Fruit Fly cultures is doing great! Of course, i spent more time on colors than actually making the stuff. But Woo-Hoo!

Idolo5-30-0509.jpg

Couldn't find where I orginally posted this, but I wanted to update y'all on this material in my Fruit Fly culture. It's fantastic! It did NOT collapse or get too soggy on the bottom. Very complex for lots of nymphs, and doesn't come out (at all) when tapping flies into your enclosures. Really happy wih it!

d177e283.jpg

no honey in anyones mixes? isnt that what mantids love to eat, insects gutloaded on it? Well my mix has honey in it, its another mold inhibitor and FF get to eat too not just HF and BB's

kova

Warning, Warning!00

If you have a favorite fruit fly mix that you are very happy with, do not read this! It will only upset you.

Most folks have no idea about what fruit fly larvae eat, but since the larvae will eat just about any kind of fermenting food in nature, everyone is happy with their results.

Potato flakes provide an excellent food source, not for the maggots, but for the bacteria and yeast cells that the maggots eat. Potato broth is a standard culture medium and potato flakes are cheap.

Yeast will grow in the medium whether you put any in there or not, since wild yeast spores are in the air. But we grow massive numbers of maggots in a very small area, so we need to supplement the supply.

The habit of sprinkling yeast on the top of the mixture comes, I think, from the fact that people have read that yeast is necessary, stirred it in and seen the massive production of carbon dioxide. The wife of former member Arkanas, poured in a whole packet on her first try, years ago, with dramatic results. I routinely use more than that. Yeast needs food in order to grow, so you must add sugar.

These three components with water added (and the maggots don't care if it is spring , distilled or tap water, though some seem to prefer Evian) are sufficient to raise FF larvae.

The yeast can be inexpensively supplemented with brewer's yeast. This consists of yeast spores that were broken open in the brewing process leaving the amino acids (protein precursors) in an edible form.

Rebecca and i have both experimented with the addition of animal protein in the form of milk whey or casein. It has been found, in a Danish paper that was discussed here a while back, that it has a positive tritrophic effect on spiderlings (and we can assume, mantids), and produces amazingly high yields of flies. the problem that I have had with it, though, is that in one batch of a dozen pots, some will have huge yields and some will start to grow anaerobic bacteria, so I have reduced the amount to where it may not be very significant.

There is no need to use vinegar or booze. They certainly attract the flies, but their mold inhibiting value is small and there is no need of an ovipositing stimulus once the yeast/sugar mix has become moist.

It's value as a mold inhibitor is modest at best as demonstrated by the fact that no academic or commercial fly lab uses it. A pound of Paraben from Josh's Frogs will last a very long time indeed, and Rebecca uses a similar, apparently cheaper item (sorry, love, I forgot its name!) available in the supermarket baking goods isle..

Paraben is used at a strength of 1tsp (5ccs) to 21/2 cups of mixed dry food. I didn't realize, until a few years back, while reading Comsumer's Reports, how hard it is to mix this evenly through the food in a stand mixer. Using a spot of food dye and waiting to see when it was evenly distributed, they came up with 15+ minutes for many common mixers, so put it in the mixer and forget about it for a while.

People who talk about "gut loading" their prey insects seem to have no idea of the difference between it and "feeding' and often use the terms interchangeably and wrongly. Gut loading is a method by which the gut of a prey insect like a cricket is filled with a mixture of vegetable matter and vitamins and trace elements that the predator may get in its usual diet. It was introduced as a means of providing these nutritional elements to reptiles and amphibians that swallow their prey whole. It does not apply to the feeding of insects and it certainly does not apply to carbohydrates such as honey, which are often well on their way to being absorbed by the fly before it is eaten. Tritrophic benefits seem to apply exclusively (and I would like to be corrected if i am wrong on this,) to animal (fly thigh) and plant (pollen) protein.

OK. I know that the vast majority of us is going to ignore this and continue to talk about "gut loading" and "masa flour" and apple slices and vinegar, but until the next time, it made me feel better, and that is always a Good Thing. :D

That all sounds good (if slightly over my head), so what's YOUR current best suggested mix...? I'm WAY new at this, and decided to just buy Rebecca's pre-made mixes.

BTW, the Blue Bottles MUCH prefer the FF Culture mix to the gelatin variety. I'm thinking that's just the lure of the vinegar?

Nice info, Phil. The protein that you have been experimenting with-do you use powdered protein in the medium?

I drink whey protein isolate shakes, and I've been debating whether or not to add this to the fruit fly/bb fly media. The amino acid profile shows it is very rich in Ile, Val, Leu, Gln, and Arg.

Latest posts