Fruit Fly Question.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebman52

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've got a fruit fly culture in a plastic container with a peice of screen (fairly coarse, so that the flies can get in and out) over the top, which i've then placed in my enclosure.

My hope was that they would crawl through the screen and explore the enclosure. This, so far, has not happened. They seem to like huddling up in their container. Is there any good way I can coax them out of their container?

I put the whole container in there because I felt it would be an easier way for a constant supply of food for my L1 nymphs once they hatch.

Thanks!

I don't want the mantids to get stuck in the banana though. Will they have a problem with that? and won't that lead to mould and rotten gooey-ness in my tank? lol

not if u replace it every few days :D , didnt think bout the mantis getting stuck :roll: , but i think thats the only way your gonna get the flys out :?

That generally won't work well as the culture will dry out. Keep the cultures capped and when you get alot of flies tap out however many you need to feed the mantids.

Latest posts