fruit fly trap

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a glass jar and put in some cut bananas, you'll have several hundred flies show up daily. When it's time to catch them, I use a clear plastic cup, hold it upside down and put it over the jar. Shake the jar a bit and all the flies climb up into the cup. Then use a piece of cardboard, slip it under the cup and there you go, tons of flies. Stick this in the freezer for a few minutes to knock them out, then sprinkle into your mantid containers.

I use a glass jar and put in some cut bananas, you'll have several hundred flies show up daily. When it's time to catch them, I use a clear plastic cup, hold it upside down and put it over the jar. Shake the jar a bit and all the flies climb up into the cup. Then use a piece of cardboard, slip it under the cup and there you go, tons of flies. Stick this in the freezer for a few minutes to knock them out, then sprinkle into your mantid containers.
nice! thanks man

Just come into my kitchen and hang around the bananas, u'll have plenty
blink.gif

I just take flies from existing cultures and make new ones before they go dry. It is much easier this way.

I put a mature banana inside a 1 Liter bottle, With a mesh (small enough so they can´t scape) on the top for ventilation, Then I made some small holes in the bottom of the bottle so FF can get inside, and after some ours I had some FF, and after some days I had a culture so I put silicon on the holes

saludos

Great! Thanks guy's, I like the idea of turning it straight into a culture! This is really useful, I just wanted to know because occasionally one of my cultures has gone mouldy and I haven't noticed so I have a period before the next one matures! This is great, thanks guy's!