Fruitflies too small for orchid?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactic Lord Xenu

Reaction score
One of my orchids molted (yesterday) and if I had to guess I'd say it's roughly the size of a quarter.

When a fruitfly comes near it poses up and stares at it but doesn't attack.

Are fruitflies too small now, or is it just not hungry because it molted...?

I think just because of the molt. My P.Ocellata, gravid or not, both eat d.hydei.(Emergencies only) They have no problem eating them(eating one, catching another two), and are much larger than quarters. It could than different with your case though. :unsure:

One of my orchids buffs up to fruit flies and acts like she wants it, but doesn't ever strike.

I got a bit worried so I crushed the head of a fruit fly and hand fed her a little. She took the fly later and I guess eating stimulated her a little bit because after that she started catching fruit flies a little more regularly. Just wait another day for your orchid, sometimes they don't eat for a couple days after molting. One of mine actually went almost a week before it took any prey after a molt.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, it's not hydei I'm giving them, it's d. melanogaster.

Gah! These things molt so fast I buy a culture and I already (might) need another! At least I have a chinese ooth sitting around that will hopefully hatch.

Oh.....NVM....They are too small I think. They are like smaller than the mantises eye? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, it's not hydei I'm giving them, it's d. melanogaster.Gah! These things molt so fast I buy a culture and I already (might) need another! At least I have a chinese ooth sitting around that will hopefully hatch.
I'd say melanogaster are too small for an orchid that's almost the size of a quarter.

i got an female orhid today sent to me fomr a guy on reptile forum,its very healthy about 1/4,,it just had a fly which was sprickled with bee pollen..the fly was nealery as big as her..lol..she had that fly and is eating it now..these things are amazing..pics coming up

Cant wait!

No idea how big a quarter is, but my ghosts ate fruit flies all the way to 5th instar

Cant wait!No idea how big a quarter is, but my ghosts ate fruit flies all the way to 5th instar
Orchid is just less than an inch, instar 4/5. i have pics uploading them now..so where about the same?do u have a male?Hint Hint..lol

Latest posts