• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS/FT: Madagascar hissing cockroaches

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beginner entomologist

Reaction score
I have a colony of Madagascar hissing cockroaches that is getting too crowded. I will sell them for $2.00 each plus shipping but I'm mainly interested in trading them for other species of insect.

I'm located in U.S. Buffalo NY

Let me know if your interested. :)

Hi! Your offer comes a day after a few of us were extolling the benefits of using the Turkestan roach, Blatta lateralis as a feeder for mantids.

I've kept hissers and remember them as interesting, very territorial (i.e. males), and cannibalistic if not fed enough animal protein. If I remember rightly, your price of $2 per (sexed adults?) is very reasonable, but they take about 9 months to reach adulthood, don't they, even when the temp is in the 80's? The big difference between the two species, though, is the price. Is there anything that you can tell us about hissers that might persuade us to attempt to set up a colony?

Yes, the price is for sexed adults. (I prefer trades for mantids though)

I started with a small colony (2.5.0) a little less than a year ago and now I'm up to 250+! (That's with feeding off some of the nymphs)

I think that the adults are too large for most mantids but the nymphs worked great for the species native to my area. With my experience each female had anywhere between 30 and 60 babies every 2 months.

During the winter I'm keeping them at 75 degrees(breeding has slowed down) But during the summer they are at about 80 degrees.

In about a week I will be offering craniiffer, dubia, and discoids for sale/trade.