• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS Tan/cryptic jumping spiders (Platycryptus undatus)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
I've been finding several wild Platycryptus undatus jumping spiders recently, commonly referred to as the tan, cryptic, or tree bark jumping spiders. As many mantid keepers haven't kept them before, but showed interest, I am providing a quick description about them (scroll down to Jumping spider details for information).

Currently I am finding slings (baby spiders) about 0.07" (2 mm) in size up to adults, but the various sized juveniles outnumber the adults. If you have a size preference please let me know, otherwise I will send what I have on hand. Also unless it is an adult it can not be properly sexed, as they are not sexually matured and can not be properly identified.

The price is $5 per jumping spider, order 5 or more and it is $4 each.

Shipping is $11 for USPS priority mail, or $35 for USPS express over-night delivery. Live guarantee for only express shipped packages. Payment is via PayPal.

Feel free to view my breeder feedback, and other feedback as well.

Send me a PM if your interested. I am not interested in trades though as I have my hands full already of various species/pets.

Jumping spider details

The adult males body length (excluding legs) are a bit bigger than 1/4" (6.5-9.5 mm), and females top out about 1/2" (10-13 mm). Counting their legs they appear about three times larger.

They actually make good pets, live up to 3 years old, eat prey such as fruit flies/house flies/small crickets/and bottle flies, and easily tame and seem to enjoy being held. I usually just place a finger near them and they jump on; however, usually in the wild they are camouflaged well so I use other methods to find them.

If handled gently the jumpers do not bite, and if they do it is said to be like a pin prick (I haven't been bit so I can't confirm - knock on wood). ;)

They do not build webs to catch prey, but actively stalk their prey and sometimes jump onto it to catch it. They will build a nest for sleeping and laying eggs though, and in time some web material can build up randomly in their habitats. They also occasionally do a death leap - that is they will attach a web to where they are and jump off lowering themselves downward, they do it so quickly though I haven't seen them attaching the web and fear they jumped from too high of a surface.

As the name suggests they do jump, and jump well for their size. I've had them jump 6" (15 cm) vertically seemingly without effort, and like to do so between my hands.

Habitat wise I keep juveniles in 6 to 9 oz containers with a fine mesh lid (organza fabric) or coffee filter, as they eat fruit flies. The adults do fine with standard mesh, and I like to give them 32 oz deli cups so there is plenty of room for their nest building. I give them all stick perches, a small amount of sphagnum peat moss or coconut fiber substrate, and a few small dry leaves on top to hide in.

They are not communal and need to be housed separately; however, in the wild males will run into each other like rams, and the smaller jumper will flee. In a closed container that will not be possible, so the smaller jumper will likely be turned into prey. Also females will prey on males in captivity unless mating.

I feed mine appropriated sized prey Melanogaster FF, Hydei FF, houseflies and such (large adult females can eat bottle flies, or small crickets) every 3 days dropping in a couple flies each. Misting I do every other day, but depending on the RH (room humidity) it needs to be increased when very dry.

Photos

The jumper in the photos is female as you can see a white “mustache” below her anterior eyes, males have a orange/tan “mustache”. Also her palps are not round and bulbous like little "boxing gloves" that males have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts