Funky Little Walking Stick

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis_Whisper

Reaction score
Okay, I got this guy like... three weeks ago on my yearly trip to the cabins. I spent the whole five days I was there seacrhing for a phasmid of some kind, and luckly one day I found this little guy after molting.

Since then he's been happy hanging out in his lovely net cage and eating bramble. He even molted again, gaining a wonderful brown colouring.

Anyway, I would like to know what species he is and how big he'll get, maybe even what gender.

Still green

ws3.jpg

Day after molt, it's hard to get him to calm down.

ws2.jpg

Another picture, I need to get some new bramble... I'll do that tomorrow.

ws1.jpg

I think it is the Diapheromera femorata! And a male, if i see it correctly. Males have a spike on they're legs.

Try feeding them Oak, Hazel and Wild Cherry, not only bramble!

They get 8/9 cm btw.

Edit: 8/9 cm WITHOUT the arms and legs that is! :p Just the body.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is the Diapheromera femorata! And a male, if i see it correctly. Males have a spike on they're legs.Try feeding them Oak, Hazel and Wild Cherry, not only bramble!

They get 8/9 cm btw.

Edit: 8/9 cm WITHOUT the arms and legs that is! :p Just the body.
Yep, looks like that one. He defiently has spikes on his legs, so I guess i got a boy! YaHooo. :lol:

I saw somewhere that you can feed them rose leaves, I have loads of roses, and maybe an oak tree in the area. The only bramble I can find has me jumping over a fence by the crowded walkway by the water. It's quite awkward.

Thanks for the info. :p

Yes they eat rose as well! All phasmids that eat bramble will most of the time eat rose too.
Well I found some wild roses behind my house, as well as a HUGE blackberry bush. I want to know why I've never noticed it before.

I also found some rasberry bushes, would he eat that?

I'll have to see if he eats the roses.

Try it! :D sometimes phasmids eat something you thought they wouldn't and sometimes they don't eat something you thought they would.

If they don't like the leaves, they won't touch it.

www.bugguide.net

i found one of these about a week ago at my porch light its a male to i have been looking for him a female.

he has been eating bramble and apple tree leaves the bramble has stayed fresh in the humid tank for about a week now! apple leaves only lasted 3 days how long do these live and if i do find a female and they produce ova how do i keep bramble over winter?

If you get a whole stick and put it in some water, it can stay longer.

Also, if the enclosure the phasmid is in, is all out of mesh the leaves will dry out faster. So less ventilation makes the leaves dry out less fast. Of course, no ventilation isn't going to work either.. :p you'll get mold.

Some bramble have a good winter frost tolerance. The leaves can be found in winter. you will have to search...

bramble grows everywhere here but durring the winter the leaves just turn to little buds...if i put a white tarp over the bramble in the winter so it doesnt get frost on it.... do you think it would help?

The hatchlings of that species are very difficult. I had them for a few generations, but they are so picky at first. I fed them leaves of white clover and vetch, because they would not eat the traditional offerings.

Latest posts