gah no food! :(

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckyl92

Reaction score
i bought some crickets for my ghost mantids 2 weeks ago and they're all dead now even though i gave them food and water so i ordered mini meal worms. lots of them.. they either look at them and run away or pounce at it and miss and walk off. i really dunno what to do :( no money! i have like 3 crickets left to last me a few days until my parents are home.

just do what i do go outside and look for bugs and put more then enough that you find with the mantids to last them a day or so thats all i do and it works well with what i can find when i dont have anything on hand!

just do what i do go outside and look for bugs and put more then enough that you find with the mantids to last them a day or so thats all i do and it works well with what i can find when i dont have anything on hand!
im not at home at the moment :/ its a tiny tiny garden so i wouldn't know were to look for things. and ghost are extremely fussy..

Cut the worms in half and put the innards up to the ghost's mouths they will grab on to it and start eating themselves.

Cut the worms in half and put the innards up to the ghost's mouths they will grab on to it and start eating themselves.
haha its okay now :)

i text my brother and told him to order me some.

didn't think he would but i was wrong!

I feel flies are the best when it comes to ghost. A member here put up directions to make a flying bug catcher, using a 2 liter bottle. Or wait till night and put on the porch light and start collecting away.

This is what annoys me. <_< Becky, go outside of your tiny garden to a park or something with a net and look after your mantids! Though you are UK bound, I'm sure there are plenty of small bugs you can catch, especially since you're entering summer.

just walk around your house and look at the walls of your house and by the windows and look for any kind of bugs that is all i tend to do and i find many kinds of bugs from real small ones as big as a fruit fly to giant flies to large mayflies!

1. Feed them honey by just swiping it on their arm. They'll clean it off while eating it.

2. Feed them meat. I tried [raw] chicken before. Uhh, cut a small piece (size of an insect that the mantis would eat). Tie it to a piece of hair (I hope you can find long enough hair). Dangle it in front of the mantis so it looks like it's flying.

Those two are just temporary solutions. I don't recommend it long term.

Ha, I have used steak before in a pinch..... not surprisingly my S. Limbata's loved it!

But I fear that it would be impossible to try that with ghosts. I know mine wouldn't except it at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mealworms are a poor choice for mantis food.

try spittle bugs

they are bugs that make like a spittle on plants that looks like spit of course and the bugs would be good for mantids as i tried this and it worked pretty darn good!

Latest posts