Gender and Mating of Chinese preying Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimama

Reaction score
I would like to mate 2 of the 3 mantids I raised. I think they are all males because their wings are longer than their abdomens. But one is much bigger and has five segments. Could it be capable of mating with a male or is it a male?

They are each now in butterfly cages. If I want to mate them should I put both in the same cage or let them go in my bathroom?

Thanks!!

Pictures of would be helpful. From you description 5 segments, much bigger, etc. I think it to be a female and the other two male. How long has each one been an adult? 

It must be female. The male has been on top of the female now for about an hour but Im not sure it is able to attach. I think maybe because the wings on the female are longer than the abdomen. Ill send a picture later (battery died).

They will be able to connect eventually. He will tap her with his arms when he's ready and she will move her wings a bit. It could take a while.... Maybe even a couple days so be prepared! Good luck!

Thanks for your advice and good wishes! You can see in the photo that the wings of the female are in the way of the male. So it sounds like he will eventually figure it out.

IMG_9107.JPG

IMG_9110.JPG

The male should reach around the female's wings to mate. It is normal.

- MantisGirl13

Females having disproportionately smaller wings only applies to certain species. In the case of Chinese mantises, females’ wings are supposed to extend past the abdomen.

But congratulations on the successful pairing! Your female has a pretty normal build, so he should find his way around the wings soon enough.

Thank you Prayingmantisqueen, Mantis Girl and River Dane. I did not know this! So much to learn!! Its very exciting. 

I have one other male in a cage that I raised at the same time as the female and male who are now together on my shower curtain.. The caged one has some mild deformities but has stayed healthy these last 2 months. He is missing the very last part of one arm/hand and part of one leg, so it is shorter, but I think he could wrap himself around a female and he seems horney (very active when he was caged next to the female).. Hopefully the mating I have going on with the normal male will be successful. Would I then let the defected male go? Or I could let the defective male free  in my bathroom now, but Im not sure if that would create an unhealthy competition. Any advice?

You can either let him go or keep him, it doesn't really matter. I hope the mating was successful!

- MantisGirl13

Some choose to let the males go to mate with other wild females. It is up to you but if you would rather keep him he probably wont live all that much longer. Males only live 1-2 mo. as adults. Females live 5-6.

Ps. Did they ever make a connection yet?

Have you noticed the deformed male having any difficulties walking around or catching prey? If so, I would suggest keeping him. If he’s clumsy, he probably won’t survive being released. And since he is a Chinese mantis, you might not want him to breed with any more wild females.

Latest posts