Getting a home for my first mantid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote

Reaction score
I will soon buy a sphodromantis lineola, I will house it in an exoterra nanotall, it's expensive but looks nice and clean as it will be in my studio, i really want something that looks nice and fits in.

I would love to keep it natural, but i m a complete noob in making terrariums.

Which substrate to use ? Which plants could i grow in that as its not very spacious. Should i just buy a plant in a pot or should i plant it in my substrate ?

How much cleaning does it need ? will it smell ?

I want to make it realistic so I will go find some sticks in the wood and put them in as well. Regarding the molting, will my mantid be able to molt in such a set up ?

I will mist it once a day, probably not heat it up unless i notice the temp goes under 21C. I really want to do well and im a bit lost...

1. Substrate: I prefer coconut fiber. Cheap, holds moisture, easily available. Sphagnum moss is good also, although a bit more expensive. Whatever looks best with what you're going for in the terrarium.

2. Plants: Depends on terrarium size. The top to bottom must have a clearance twice the length of your fill grown mantis with some to spare for them to molt properly. I like small succulents myself.

3. Cleaning: Mantids are pretty clean, except they can leave droppings and bits of leftover prey. I've never had a stink problem and rarely clean unless it's a big piece of prey left.

4. Sticks: Sure! I have a big knotted stick, but again they need room to molt so the less cluttered the better. 

5. Water: I mist 1-2 times daily pretty thoroughly. That skulls be sufficient with either substrates to hold humidity. If you use a more simple substrate like a matting or paper towel you may need to adjust watering.

You'll do fine!

Thanks for your answer my friend, i will try to follow your advices, can you show me a pic of your terrarium =

I will probably go with coconut fiber, one big plant and one small one. I will add some moss on the ground and a stick. I will make sure to keep a place where she can molt. About molting, will she go to the top of the terrarium ? Can she grip good on top of an exoterra ?

Mantids tend to hang on the top of their habitats and dangle upside down most of the time. If the top is mesh, than that will work great. If it is not, you can use a hot glue gun in low heat and add mesh of some kind to supply a good gripping surface.

Ok thanks again, i think it's mesh. I can't wait to make a new good looking home for my mantis. Really excited about finally having a terrarium and a praying mantis

I use sphagnum moss.Its a real moss,its alive! After a couple weeks I have black beetles and moths that just pop up! The nutrients in the moss creates its own food.so I rarely have to buy food.the moss is in all of my enclosures for All my mantises,especially the ghost,violin and orchid all love them.

Latest posts