Getting D. lobata to mate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PragmaticHominid

Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time getting my lobatas to breed, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've bred a number of species but I've never had this much difficulty before.

Any tricks for this species?

I am having a lot of trouble too. Can you describe what yours are doing?

Read Yen's log at his website. When I was starting on a new species, they helped me out a lot. Hop you guys have success. His website is usamantis.com ;)

I just had them in netcubes under a heat lamp, which normally does the trick for most species.

But that wasn't cutting it, so I put a layer of paper towels, followed by a layer of coconut fiber, followed by a ton of leaves down on the bottom of the cube. I also put some fresh branches with the leaves still on in the cage, because someone told me that adding dead leaves was the trick (though the leaves I had were still fresh when I put them in last night). Then I misted the heck out of everything.

And that seemed to have worked. The male has mounted the female, and I'm about 90% sure they're connected but I don't want to bother them too much trying to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, you gotta be patient.

Increase the humidity and temperature.

The male might just keeping stearing at female for 2 days and do nothing, this also happens even after male jumps onto female back.

You can just simply put male on the female, this may help :)

Good luck, mine pairs successfully mated 2 wks ago

Latest posts