Getting your money's worth on a mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuhan

Reaction score
I'm a first timer looking for a spiny flower mantis nymph. So far, I've only found one source with them in stock- for about $25. In the community's opinion, is it worth it once you include shipping? Or should I hold out for a cheaper one?

I'm mostly just asking because I've seen them for as little as $13... on sites that don't have them available right now and don't say when they will. I'm a minor, so I'd like to pinch as many pennies as possible so as not to scare off my parents!

Thanks for any help I can get!

It being worth it depends on the person I think. You might not be able to find others for sale for quite a while, you never know. 

Are you dead set on a spiny flower? Bugsincyberspace currently has giant rainforest mantis nymphs for sale for $14, and their site says they will have Indian flower mantises back in stock late this month for $11.

Edit: You can also browse/post here! http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?/forum/6-mantids-for-salewanted/

Last edited by a moderator:
It being worth it depends on the person I think. You might not be able to find others for sale for quite a while, you never know. 

Are you dead set on a spiny flower? Bugsincyberspace currently has giant rainforest mantis nymphs for sale for $14, and their site says they will have Indian flower mantises back in stock late this month for $11.
I'll keep looking, but I admit I'm a bit impatient sometimes. I'm just excited!

Ive been toying w the idea of other mantises, but I think at this point yes, I'm set on a spiny flower. I'll keep those in mind though! Thank you!

I'll keep looking, but I admit I'm a bit impatient sometimes. I'm just excited!

Ive been toying w the idea of other mantises, but I think at this point yes, I'm set on a spiny flower. I'll keep those in mind though! Thank you!
Understandable! I was dead set on an orchid when I first started a couple months ago, and am finally in the process of buying one from someone here on the forums! The price for the spiny flower you found might be worth it if you're impatient. 

Good luck finding your spiny flower! :)

Spiny flowers are my all time favorite species (look wise) as well. Its almost killing me that I've been unable to get one yet. I wish you the best of luck finding one!

Understandable! I was dead set on an orchid when I first started a couple months ago, and am finally in the process of buying one from someone here on the forums! The price for the spiny flower you found might be worth it if you're impatient. 

Good luck finding your spiny flower! :)

Thank you! I'm definitely considering splurging on the $25 one, but I'll keep my eyes peeled! 

Spiny flowers are my all time favorite species (look wise) as well. Its almost killing me that I've been unable to get one yet. I wish you the best of luck finding one!

I know! They have such a vibrant look to them, it's incredible. This is the site that should have the spiny flower nymphs, let me know if it works for you! https://usmantis.com/collections/praying-mantis/products/pseudocreobotra-wahlbergii-spiny-flower-mantis

Edit: Well I've gotten a few kind messages explaining the USmantis situation! Apparently, it's all likely to be a bit of a scam! I'm just glad I was warned so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get most species for $5-$10 a nymph but it can take time finding specific species. If you want to get the best bang for your buck I suggest being flexible. Get a nice list of species you want to try and keep an eye on places like the selling subforum, picking up different ones as they become available. Otherwise you have to expect you will be paying a premium for the ability to buy immediately.

hy snuhan   , being frugal and impatient are an oxymoron  in the ''real'' world . You seem to be an eager young person , decide what you want / like , then go for the intrinsic (what appeals to you) value . In 6 months you won't regret or miss the additional money ($12.00) that you have spent. Your parents will more than understand ....  S

I would wait. In the meantime, look at other species, hopefully spiny flower pops up at a cheaper price, then maybe you can get several when before you could just get one. Join mantis facebook groups as well, ppl are always selling there too.

Latest posts