Ghost Colony Terrarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much closer to two. My biggest female is 2.2 inches from top of the crest to tip of the abdomen laying flat. The males are a little longer with their full wings, hitting closer to 2.5, but they're much skinnier so they end up using less space.

time for pictures!!!

infared light, the pop up port-a-bug has 8n phyllocrania in it

walhbergiinymphs%20015.jpg

a nymph (sorry for the blurr)

walhbergiinymphs%20014.jpg

Just make sure not to let them go in that large of an enclosure. You wont be able to say we didn't warn you. ;)

They would do awesome (when a bit bigger) in one of the 1ft. cubes from livemonarch.com...even as adults. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
need more help. First off, 3 molted to L3 just fine! Yay! How much fake foliage do I need in the tank to provide preches for when I put the mantids in whenever they get to be adults?

need more help. First off, 3 molted to L3 just fine! Yay! How much fake foliage do I need in the tank to provide preches for when I put the mantids in whenever they get to be adults?
Like your question about the sex of the nymphs, the answer is to check as you are putting the branches in and decode when the arrangement looks good to you, and you have at least several perches for each mantis.

BTW, I see that you posted at 1418, your time. Do you always get out of school that early, or is Thursday a "short day"?

Like your question about the sex of the nymphs, the answer is to check as you are putting the branches in and decode when the arrangement looks good to you, and you have at least several perches for each mantis.BTW, I see that you posted at 1418, your time. Do you always get out of school that early, or is Thursday a "short day"?
we got out early today, because this stuff called snow fell like crazy and made the roads unsafe.

Either that is one huge tank or one very small net cage.

I think a tank divider could be used to make smaller compartments as needed and would be completely adjustable.

Tank divider

I've only used them for fish, but they stay in place even in a dry tank. I might need some adjustment at the hood/light area to completely block it off for feeders, but this it what I'd use in the same situation with 6 ghosts in a 55 gal.

Ant those many mantids will be immpossible to feed.
Not true. ;)
Gotta agree with Katnapper here...somehow I'm feeding over 100 ;)

I kinda got compulsive with the tank size (ocd), and the pop up net cage thingy is pretty small. oh yeah, Yen was right, at about 50% humidity 4 ghosts molted to L3 no problem! score 1 for team yen! (not that anyone is keeping score [and then at yens house theres this white board that has like a chart and scores are tally marks :p ]) I might put gsefm in that tank, I'm planning on getting nymphs in June again, they seem to breed more prolificly (from others' experience, not mine though, but I'll give them another shot)

Sweet set up.

I have seven ghosties in a two gallon hexogon. One lousy fake grass plan (3" pot) in there, and a screen top.

Seems like plenty of room, and keeps the food closer at hand....er....claw.

I love this species. They're so docile, my 2 1/2 year old loves to hold one and have it walk on her had. My five year old likes them to walk on her face (I worry about that girl).

I know I'm humanizing them a bit, but they are the "friendliest" of the species I've ever kept (lobatas being the most ornery).

Latest posts