Ghost curiosity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
Looking at our current bug roster, I see that Ghosts are, by far, the most owned. What is it about this species you owners find particularly attractive? The petite size? Their design? Disposition?

Thanks!

They're cheap, exotic looking, easy to keep and breed. Great beginning species and easy to get attached to.

Edit: and they're communal for the most part!

Last edited by a moderator:
just want to note that if you're looking for an aggressive species that will chase after prey, ghosts aren't for you. Adventurous and inquisitive, not aggressive.

Have only raised T. sinesis; I do like mantids that are big and aggressive (Pit Bulls with antennae). Mvalenz is sending me a few budwing nymphs - so am very much looking forward to working with a new species. But Ghosts are so far ahead of the pack on the roster - was just curious what their magic is.

Have only raised T. sinesis; I do like mantids that are big and aggressive (Pit Bulls with antennae). Mvalenz is sending me a few budwing nymphs - so am very much looking forward to working with a new species. But Ghosts are so far ahead of the pack on the roster - was just curious what their magic is.
You should check out Hierodula nymphs when some become available. They're huge and aggressive!

You should check out Hierodula nymphs when some become available. They're huge and aggressive!
I'd be happy to send you Hierodula when I can Digger :) Maybe I'll be super lucky and breed my majuscula, but with only 3 theres a chance I wont. I have a lot of younger membranacea though.

I have one. A nice female I named Dragon. She is so funny and cute. She sits ever so patiently waiting for flies to bumble into her.

When I take her out of her house, she will do this wild swaying rocking dance. I call it the Dragon Dance! She is a lovely green with a light touch of tan in her wings.

Thanks very much guys. Hierodula are most definitely on the docket in the future. But, for now, I want to keep just one or two as true pets. If the budwings survive, they'll be the owners of the house (along with Nikki Mantis, whom I expect to live to a hundred and four).

I have one. A nice female I named Dragon. She is so funny and cute. She sits ever so patiently waiting for flies to bumble into her.

When I take her out of her house, she will do this wild swaying rocking dance. I call it the Dragon Dance! She is a lovely green with a light touch of tan in her wings.
I got my first ghost as a mystery mantis from Rebecca, that's when I fell in love. That little guy did the swaying dance so much that we name him Patrick SWAYze :)

I imagine it is because they look 'exotic' yet are super easy to keep as far as mantises go.

I always wanted some ghosts, but no one ships to Brazil... =/

I really wanted to BUY OOTHS of them, but...

It's a childhood dream D:

If my male ever molts to adult, I'll sell you an ooth. Still would prefer to trade. Everyone here can give money, but not everyone has cool South American stock! It seems that most of our culture comes from Africa.

If my male ever molts to adult, I'll sell you an ooth. Still would prefer to trade. Everyone here can give money, but not everyone has cool South American stock! It seems that most of our culture comes from Africa.
I don't have how to trade in the moment, but I really want to buy these species. I really love the "dead-leaf" mantids...and I fell in love when I saw the Ghosts! *-*

I think it was a combo of availability and appearance for me. I basically convinced an entire classroom of college grads with kids to look into mantids for pets with pictures of ghost mantids that I found on the web. But I do love my creos for their ferocity, next species that I try will be larger and more aggressive for sure.

They have an absolutely unique appearance. Very frilly. And their movement is a big part of the appeal. Just overall, a very cute species that is fairly easy to keep.

I got my first ghost as a mystery mantis from Rebecca, that's when I fell in love.
Same here - that Rebecca is a troublemaker! :tt2:

While I like 'mantis-looking mantis' like Hieros, I like the different/weird ones more! Ghosts are so cryptic and exotic, great for photography.

I had mixed results in breeding them but I still love 'em.

i-H8zWdNk-XL.jpg

Latest posts