Ghost Female Final Molt (Video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
The best molting video so far! I actually had time to prepare for this one. The whole process took almost 3 hours (about 45 minuteds for the molt, the rest to inflate the wings). It wasn't easy to compress it to only 8:37 but I think I pulled it off.

Starts out showing the swollen wing buds to watch for on sub-adults. It's a good indication a molt is about to happen. They swelled many hours before her molt.

After she pulls out of the old skin you can see that she reaches past it to get at least one foot on the perch just in case the skin falls.

At 5:20 you get to see just how tricky it is when they have to flip to inflate the wings. Larger species like Gongylus gongylodes prefer a lower surface they can step onto avoiding the need to climb the old skin. I suggest that for any large, heavy mantis. Luckily she does everything right.

She then shows off doing two-legged pull-ups and generally ruffles her new wings for the nosy onlookers. :lol:

She is the lightest colored of my three females and the last to molt (a full two months behind the first female).

Soundtrack by Precarious

Oh, and BTW, I totally posted your video link on my facebook singing your praises. ;) I agree it's your best molt video by far

Oh, and BTW, I totally posted your video link on my facebook singing your praises. ;) I agree it's your best molt video by far
Thanks!

That's Ye Old Tank O'Many Twigs I designed for the Idolos. The Ghosts are enjoying it too much to evict them so I made the Idolos another tank. But this one is really perfect for shooting video.