Ghost (male pre-sub)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Just a couple test shots with a new magnifying filter I got. Not bad for $20 shipped! :D

More specifically, Canon 250D Close-Up lens on $20 Opteka 10x filter, on Canon EF100mm, on Canon T2i body. Full magnification on all but the first one and no cropping.

I'm pretty blown away by the quality of this piece for the money. I've been trying out various diopters for the new camcorder. Luckily the camcorder and DSLR have the same thread size. Makes it easy to test for chromatic aberration. This is the first one that adds virtually no distortion. I've tried some at three time this cost and been very disappointed.

Ghostmale_5484-sm.jpg

Ghostmale_5481-sm.jpg

Ghostmale_5480-sm.jpg

Ghostmale_5482-sm.jpg

Ghostmale_5487-sm.jpg

It reminds me TOOL artwork(the music band).Do you know this band?I bet you do!!

How did you get in that close without it jumping back?
I put him in the freezer for a good half hour before taking any pics.

Just kidding... :D

The males are very docile and the lens was actually about 1.5" to 2" from him. And it only takes a few seconds to line up a shot and pull the trigger. Younger nymphs are way more difficult. I'll be posting pics of L1-L2 Congo Blue Flash later tonight. They were a lot more challenging.

Nice shots man. Can I suggest you try an extension tube set if your serious about quality past 1:1 on that delicious camera and lens? 68mm of extension tubes will give you about 2.3x mag, probably about what your getting and the 100m lens working slightly out of it's designed range is way crisper than any diopter. Yes I have tried em all :rolleyes:

Working distance is still excellent, the only downside is the loss of light but your monster flash won't care and will meter perfectly still, even if you stick 4 entire sets of tubes on it, plus you have a focusing light - golden.

Hope you don't mind the constructive criticism dude.

Looking forward to the nymph pics

Hope you don't mind the constructive criticism dude.
Thanks for the tips, and, please, always feel free to give constructive criticism. As you know I'm a novice so I appreciate that kind of info. I may have to experiment with tubes. I can't blow the money for a MP-E65mm till I get some kind of return on this.

I really got the diopter for the camcorder. No way to add lenses or extension tubes there so I am stuck with magnifying filters. I was just using it on the T2i to test how bad the distortion was and it was so good I decided to take some real photos. The pics I'm posting of the Congo Blue Flash L2 nymph were all taken using this filter. You can judge if you see any distortion/aberration. I don't see any. Not when zoomed in anyway.

Believe me, I've tested a bunch of diopters for the old camcorder and could never find one that didn't introduce chromatic aberration. I now know you need either multi-coated lenses or achromatic elements like the Canon 250D Close-Up filter. If you can find that it won't degrade the image at all. Shockingly, I found that in a $20 diopter!

Latest posts