Ghost Mantis Hatch (in great detail)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Another lucky catch... :)

I wanted to document the whole process so you can see each stage; as it emerges from the ooth, pushes out of the egg casing by splitting the back, then pulls out the legs.

Then after, you'll see how the swelling of the head goes down, the rump flattens and curls, and its color darkens.

GhostH01_9076-sm.jpg

GhostH02_9057-sm.jpg

GhostH03_9081-sm.jpg

GhostH04_9083-sm.jpg

GhostH05_9084-sm.jpg

GhostH06_9087-sm.jpg

GhostH07_9089-sm.jpg

GhostH08_9093-sm.jpg

GhostH09_9098-sm.jpg

GhostH10_9100-sm.jpg

GhostH11_9108-sm.jpg

GhostH12_9115-sm.jpg

GhostH13_9122-sm.jpg

GhostH14_9131-sm.jpg

GhostH15_9140-sm.jpg

GhostH16_9151-sm.jpg

Take notice of the shape of the head and abdomen between these three photos (taken over the course of an hour).

GhostH17_9172-sm.jpg

GhostH18_9179-sm.jpg

GhostH19_9189-sm.jpg

Happy Birthday!

GhostH20_9186-sm.jpg

Holy cow that's some great detail! I never noticed how bubbly a ghost ooth actually looks!

man, what are doing here???, you should be on Natgeo Wild or something like that :lol:

I wanna know how the heck you know there coming? Do they yell "hey Henry here we come and you simply grab the camera" or is it something like a phone call you get, and you say ok guy's hold on a minute while I get my gear in place, maybe its morse code? :blink:

I wanna know how the heck you know there coming? Do they yell "hey Henry here we come and you simply grab the camera" or is it something like a phone call you get, and you say ok guy's hold on a minute while I get my gear in place, maybe its morse code? :blink:
All I can tell you is that the Mantis Goddess is real. No joke. She helps me out. ;)

It also helps to live like a monk locked in a room full of bugs. :helpsmilie:

So I'm thinking that fluid stored in the head goes toward filling all the expanded body tissue. Anyone know for sure?

Best shoot you've had in my opinion. These are incredible!

It is so strange how the body is 75% abdomen when the nymph first emerges, then about 25% abdomen once its out and dry. The miracle of life I guess :p

No, I meant your head, you Hydrocephalic! :angry:
Hydrocephalic: A usually congenital condition in which an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the cerebral ventricles causes enlargement of the skull and compression of the brain, destroying much of the neural tissue.

You must of seen me when I had a bad hangover, it's better now, usually I don't go for stereo-typing but you got me there. :1eye:

Cute! I have six L2's coming in from GreenOasis. I should have some pictures of those once I get them. If they hold still long enough!

Latest posts