Ghost Mantis Injured Post Moult

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medusacascade

Reaction score
My ghost mantis recently moulted and is now a full sized adult. She fell just after she finished moulting; it was a pretty short distance as I had placed a fake plant with flat, wide leaves underneath where she was hanging so she didn’t fall too far if she did. She wasn’t stuck in her exoskeleton and seemed to be moving around fine after I gently helped her up and onto the underside of a leaf. She’s been hanging in the same spot for the last 3 days since moulting, and hasn’t been interested in her flies. Today I held her for the first time since she moulted and noticed that when she’s right side up, she has trouble holding herself upright. It seems as though her right arm isn’t working properly; she’s barely using it and holds her arms to the side when they’re folded in. I’m assuming that’s why she hasn’t wanted her flies as well. She also just tried to groom with that arm but seems unable to lift it up to her face. Is this something that can heal on its own, or will she always be like this? Will she be able to eat properly? Photo attached of her current position on my hand, she’s standing but keeping her head down and not standing fully upright. 

86DBAB96-15E0-466F-ADBB-63CC2880D722.jpeg

She may need hand feeding, you will just have to wait and see how she does. 
I’ve tried to hand feed her and so far she hasn’t accepted anything, but I’ll keep trying. I’ll get some honey for her tomorrow as well and hopefully that will give her more energy and motivation to eat something!

Update: she’s becoming weaker, can no longer hang upside down without falling, and can’t hold herself up at all. I’ve given her as much honey water as she will drink but I don’t think she’s going to make it. If anyone has any idea what could have gone wrong during/after her moult to cause this I’d still like to know. Thank you

Latest posts