Ghost Mantis L5 Feeding problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildworldnick

Reaction score
Hello!

About 2 days ago, my L4 molted  into an L5 and is no longer interested or activity trying to catch the fruit flies I put in, I have been activity searching on what to feed the mantis now, seems that house flies and blue bottles are popular options according to some haste research, but that’s not really an option in the cold climate of where I live (Northern Ireland) 

Does anyone  have any suggestions or links on where I can buy the live food?  Quite worried that my mantis will starve.

thanks in advance!

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Smallexoticfarm.ie has small pallid roaches. He might even have green bottle casters. I know he cultures greenbottles. I have pallid also their good for feeding to ghost mantis and other small mantis. Easy to build a colony of them as they breed quick at lower temperatures.

L4 ghosts would still be too small to take green bottle flies. The pallids are good as they range from 0.2mm to 7mm. I have a large colony and that’s what I feed my ghosts when they get bigger. L4 ghosts should also be able for small crickets.

Hey Budwig

thanks for the reply! I made a small typo in my post, I said my L4 molted, so it’s now an L5, apologies about that.

ill still look at that link but! Thanks much!

No worries I do it all the time. The mans name is Ivan. Tell him I put you onto to him. He’s got a serious amount of feeders and mantis. In fact he’s the only person I know that cultures flies in Ireland. Il be culturing Curleywings soon enough but I don’t have any at the moment. 

Aye bad time of year for getting anything posted. If you can’t get small crickets from a pet shop the only feeder that will be around are spiders. It’s been mild enough here. Check around the doors and windows of the house and they will be sitting with eggcases this time of year.  Just look for the small white or yellow blobs, the spiders will be close by. 

With some patience you could always try meal worms. Surely they should be easy enough to come by? You may have to cut the worm and patiently work to stick the gooey end up to the ghosts mouth to get them to realize its food. 

I do this with my violins and its a pain in the butt but will work if you can keep calm and cool and not get frustrated.

I mis-read the post. I thought the mantis was L4 which would have been just too small yet to tackle a green bottle. 

Latest posts