Ghost mantis ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few days ago, i was shocked to see a catepillar in my ghost mantis cage ( i only use fake leaves), but after second look, i realized it was just a ghost ootheca that appeared to be some kind of catepillar. (another ooth at the back appear to be normal) My son name the ooth as "Transformer oothecae" :lol: and now he is hoping to see some "transformer" ghost nymphs :lol:

ooth1.jpg

But later i found a dismembered adult male at the bottom of the cage, i am sure one of the hungry female did it.... bummer :( he was still moving when i removed the body.

deadmale2.jpg

i keep my 2 adult females together and everythings fine between them. i have a male that has been adult for 3 weeks now and the 2 females for 2 weeks when and how should i try breeding them. its my first time. :?

it should be DUM DUM DUM! for me lol. thanks for that. i will try that in a week or so and let you know how it went. :D

Adult females will eat males if given the opportuntity. Same s.e.x P. paradoxa will co-habit, but not for the same reasons that Gongylus gongloides will. P. paradoxa hardly moves at all, so in effect, individuals are more or less invisible to others in the cage.

Male are obviously a different story.

Rob

Those transformers are always peaceful if they have many flying insects inside the cage. I always leave a bunch of puppae inside and flies are hatching every day so all mantids are not hungry. My 2 pairs made 11 Ooths! One was even 9cm long! Of course the most part was much smaller, but it is the best result for me till now.

9 cm long is the longest i have ever heard :shock: !! the longest i have is about 6 cm, but it only hatched out like 15 nymphs. This morning i have one ghost ooth at barely 1 inch long, hatching out 30 nymphs as i type right now.

Latest posts