Ghost miss-molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elo500

Reaction score
found my L1/L2 on the bottom of the enclosure this morning. His brother molted fine 2 days ago. I picked him up and he is stil alive but his back end looks dried out. He did'nt have any skin hanging so guessing molt didn't start right? I tried to put him back on the screen but he is not able to hang. I read the other post about using paintbrush to help the molt but I don't know how long the skin is soft enough to come off? Tried to take a picture but no macro lens.

molt.jpg

okay after sitting on the screen for a few minutes I turned him upside down back in the cup and he was able to latch on with his rear legs and he was hanging when I left. I was going to take him to work to keep an eye on him but he was swinging around like a tire swing so thought it better just to leave him alone. Hopefully he will still be hanging when I get home.

so I'm trying to understand this molt process. the exoskeleton softens and gravity pulls it off, then the underlying new exo skeleton hardens right? so how long is the window to successfully shed the old skin before the hardening process starts?

thanks

okay after sitting on the screen for a few minutes I turned him upside down back in the cup and he was able to latch on with his rear legs and he was hanging when I left. I was going to take him to work to keep an eye on him but he was swinging around like a tire swing so thought it better just to leave him alone. Hopefully he will still be hanging when I get home. so I'm trying to understand this molt process. the exoskeleton softens and gravity pulls it off, then the underlying new exo skeleton hardens right? so how long is the window to successfully shed the old skin before the hardening process starts? thanks
Not exactly, but on the right track, their new body comes from within their old exoskeleton, along with gravity they force out of their old skin...look up some videos of mantids molting to get a better understanding...its weird to explain....

They pump themselves full of air to split the old exoskeleton and then they slowly slip through while they're full of air. Rhythmic motion during their puffed up state slowly moves them out of the smaller, old exoskeleton. Falling is usually fatal because it's like dropping a water balloon at maximum volume. Even if the outer exoskeleton does not become damaged, they can experience damage internally.

So sad! I lost one of my L3 ghost today too. i dissected him and found his entrails rancid. Guess it was bacterial infection because I think the fruit fly he ate were not clean.

Thanks for the info. I lost another ghist today. Only had him 2 days, an L1/L2 was fine this morning and found him dead when I got home. Don't know if he was trying to molt or not. What is the mortailty rate of mantids.? I mean with the risk that goes with each molting an all. I don't know if I have the wrogn setup or are they high risk whne belw L5 or something?

Oh no that sucks. What is your setup? Check the housing forum and also the housing for breed specific conditions. That is real young, it is more common at such an early instar ( I think) . I have had 2 mismolts, one was def. From my own ignorance. I left a bbfly in the enclosure and did not see the signs of an impending molt. The other just happened, I really don't know why .

I'll post a pic tonight. I'm using a cup with coffee filter on top and paper towel on bottom. It's possible I have a humidity problem (too much).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts