ghost not eating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan2296

Reaction score
I have recently just got a pre-subadult female ghost mantis a little less than a week ago, and she hasn't eaten anything since she has gotten her. I have tried giving her some crickets, some flies, and a tiny millipede that i found. she has tried grabbing all of this food, but she can't seem to get it. i have tried hand-feeding but she refuses to grab, or try to eat, the food.

People have recently told me it is because she is going to molt soon, or she is full (which i doubt since she is striking at the food i gave her). I just want to make sure she doesn't die of starvation. Please help, or tell me what you believe is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Striking is an extremely common technique mantids use to get the nuisance to go away.

What temps?

What rh?

Pics of enclosure?

How big are the crickets/flies?

Just don't over stress her if she doesn't want it, i had a mantid fast for 2 weeks before molting. Its only been a few days :)

Striking is an extremely common technique mantids use to get the nuisance to go away.

What temps?

What rh?

Pics of enclosure?

How big are the crickets/flies?

Just don't over stress her if she doesn't want it, i had a mantid fast for 2 weeks before molting. Its only been a few days :)
ok thanks, i was very worried since after you shipped her to me she hasn't eaten.

I saw online that it should be around 70 so right now where i am, that is the regular temperature. flies are like the size of her head, enclosure is temporary at the moment. I am waiting for the cage i recently ordered to arrive, but here it is Photo on 10-6-12 at 3.00 PM #2.jpg Photo on 10-6-12 at 3.00 PM.jpg

I saw online that it should be around 70 so right now where i am, that is the regular temperature.
I wouldn't keep Phyllocranias that cool. I don't think that is the cause of your specimens lack of feeding response but in terms of the animal's long term health you may want to elevate temperatures to a 75F +range.

Temps could be higher, but that definitely is not the issue (or so i would assume), i kept a ghost in the past at that temp al the way to adulthood, took about 4 months but it went well haha

well it has been a week now, still no eating. i don't know what is going on. Should i be worried??
Has the mantis moulted recently? What are you offering it as prey? Could you post a photo of the enclosure and a clear shot of your specimen?

Dayyan

Ghosts don't eat as much as most other species and it's typical for them to go for lengths of time between feedings (I've had my young ones even go to a fully FLAT abdomen before they would take another morsel of food). They usually only eat to fullness/plumpness just before they molt (because they will fast a long time before & after a molt). I only feed my Ghosts (unless they are mated females) about 2x a week, otherwise the food just goes to waste & fouls the enclosure.

If she ever "fasts" again & you get worried, just offer her a drop of honey from the end of a toothpick. It will give her a boost of energy (so that, even if she doesn't eat regular food, at least she will have SOME nutrition), and Ghosts will NEVER refuse a treat of honey!

I know it's a little late, but I hope the added opinion helps soothe your conscience! ;)

Quick update!!!!! She is doing great, she is eating a lot of flies and seems to be pretty active. She hasn't molted yet though, but she should very soon :D

Latest posts