Ghost ooth care

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
I have my first ghost ooth. I am not sure that it is fertile (I hope it is), because I didn't see my ghost couple connecting (maybe they did at night ;) )How should I take care of it? Totally newbie with this .

Another question: how long is the incubation time?

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to keep at room temps and mist at least 3 x a week. It takes 6 weeks to hatch, hope they hatch for you. You can always pair them up again.

I dont know if it is wise to do it. My male lost 2 tarsis. I dont know if he is able to hold his grip on the female.

I dont know if it is wise to do it. My male lost 2 tarsis. I dont know if he is able to hold his grip on the female.
If your male seems to be getting around alright I would try to pair them. I kept my males separated from my females to avoid hormone saturation and every time I would introduce one of my females they would go absolutely nuts (the little shaking dance they do is hilarious), and within 20-30 minutes the males would make an attempt. I could tell if a mating attempt would have a good chance by where the attention is directed from the male--if they wont take their eyes off the female and start wiggling around its a good tell that hes interested. If your females are nice and timid like mine are/were, as well as fed plenty of food,  they shouldn't attack the males--I've had them face-to-face and, while I was climbing the walls in anxiety, never had a female strike at a male. Not saying that wont be the case for you and yours, but I think you should give your male a chance. In my experience the males seem to know what they are up against and can hop off real quick if the female isn't receptive, providing there is ample shelter and space.

Unfortunately my ghost females have all seemed to be pretty aggressive despite stuffing them full of food beforehand. I've had several males get eaten or injured at the approach stage so now whenever possible I try to place the male directly on the female's back in order to avoid that whole issue. It doesn't always work but when it does he'll get right to business. If your male can grip onto a stick he should be able to hold onto the female so if you can put him on her back that will skip any mounting awkwardness due to his lost tarsi. If not you'll need to get another male to fertilize her.

How long did he stay on top of her the first time? Some males will do lots of short connections while others will stay connected for hours with no breaks. It is possible you missed seeing a connection but you should try mating them again anyway.

Ghost ooths don't need a lot of special care, you can keep them at the same conditions as the adults, between 75° to 85°F and mist every 2 or 3 days (or even better get a room humidifier and keep the room between 60 to 80% humidity.) It usually takes around 6 weeks to hatch but can take as long as 10 weeks.

Mating them them again is a big no. Ghosty is deteriorating . I think Spooky felt he was't ok yesterday. He can't hang up upside down anymore.( found him on his back this morning.) I think he is dying. I have put him on a fake flower that lays on my desk. Ghosty sits on that now.

I have mated them 2x and Ghosty sat long on her back. Think 2x more than 12 or more hours. I could indeed missed the conections because I was sleeping

How long has he been an adult? Male ghosts don't live very long only about 6 to 8 weeks nor do they eat much. If you've mated him twice and he mounted for 12 hours he may have connected...hopefully. Treat the ooths as if they are fertile but they still may not hatch even if they are.

Don't know think indeed between 6 to 8 weeks. He was a terrible eater. I handfed him since he was adult, so he got some food inside him. Even it was just a few bites. last bit he ate was 2 days ago. little piece of dubia.

Yeah, I treat the ooth if it is fertile. It is sitting in a cup in the same position as Spooky laid it. Spooky laid it on a popsicle stick I added on the lid. It was easy to move it to a new cup.

Ghosty is almost gone, I wish they have longer lives.

Sounds like your male is at the end of his lifespan. And yeah, male ghosts hardly eat anything at all but that's normal, it's just the way they are.

He is dead. Spooky is like a bottomless pit. She needs a lot of energy for a new ooth I think. She even grab her food out of my tweezers🤣

Latest posts