Ghost ooth problems

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedro92

Reaction score
One of my females has laid 2 green colored ooths 1 fertile 1 unfertile then they turned brown/tan is this normal....

2nd female has laid 2 dots of an ooth carrying about 2 eggs each

the first is normal, they turn progressively more tan and then brown as the weeks go on. the second females ooth is not normal behaviour, is she well fed? what do you feed her? it sounds like something a VERY old female would do.

the first is normal, they turn progressively more tan and then brown as the weeks go on. the second females ooth is not normal behaviour, is she well fed? what do you feed her? it sounds like something a VERY old female would do.
I feed them flies and an occasional roach. she hasnt laid any other ooths.

Like mrblue said, this is what old females do! Our female has laid 4 or 5 tiny ooths..

Maybe your female is lazy! :p or she can't find a good spot to put the ooth. Our Hierodula once started an ooth, then after 1cm of ooth she was like: nah.. next spot. 10 cm further the laid an whole ooth.

All my females that have been adult over 1 month more about 2 months old and they have not laid any ooths yet. what is going on? They all have been mated 1 has been mated 2 times

i cant really think what could be wrong, sorry. are you feeding them as much as they will eat? are they warm enough? are there enough appropriate branches for them to lay on? these questions probably arent relevant (mantids will lay on the lid/mesh if nowhere else is available for example) i'm just clutching at straws here. i've heard of some peoples females mating and never laying as being "egg bound" but i dount know what this means really, maybe someone else can help.

I doubt crickets could have anything to do with it...but did you feed them crickets? Also to follow up what mrblue said about the females being egg bound...or they could be sterile. I can't really think of a reason why they would not lay ooths.

More than likely they will lay any day now, they are a slow but persistant laying species, once started, they don't stop. If after 2 and a half months, they don't lay, they are more likely egg bound. But I think in this next week they will lay for you. ps a little senerade don't hurt either :lol:

More than likely they will lay any day now, they are a slow but persistant laying species, once started, they don't stop. If after 2 and a half months, they don't lay, they are more likely egg bound. But I think in this next week they will lay for you. ps a little senerade don't hurt either :lol:
One laid a 2inch+ ooth this morning. Also the other one looks really really fat so maybe it will lay soon.

two of my ghosts out of 3 still have not laid any. one has laid 3.

Latest posts