Giant Asian Breeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis_Whisper

Reaction score
Okay, I have an adult female and two adult males. The females has been an adult for around two weeks and the oldest male around three or four weeks.

I wanted to know when most people mate theirs? I've been looking and I really can't find the amount of time for the species, and it's been bugging me senseless for awhile now.

Anyone care to help?

I'm not the most experienced here...but I haven't tried less than 10 days for females. Males develop faster so I hardly keep track of them.

while there mating, you can give the female another locust or something. this drills away the chance of the male getting eaten.

while there mating, you can give the female another locust or something. this drills away the chance of the male getting eaten.
hmmm, I have no locust in my area. I might be able to find a grasshopper... But I think I'll stick to crickets.

Thanks. :p

I ended up mating her about a month ago... but the only thing is she hasn't laid an ooth yet!

Is she eggbound or is there a long wait before laying? This is my first time with this species so I'm at a loss.

I ended up mating her about a month ago... but the only thing is she hasn't laid an ooth yet!Is she eggbound or is there a long wait before laying? This is my first time with this species so I'm at a loss.
Mating has nothing to do with when they lay an ooth. She should be laying any day now. These have always been one of the easiest for me to keep in all aspects.

Mating has nothing to do with when they lay an ooth. She should be laying any day now. These have always been one of the easiest for me to keep in all aspects.
I that's what I thought... but so far there's been no ooth and she's been an adult for over two months.

maybe she's infertile?

I that's what I thought... but so far there's been no ooth and she's been an adult for over two months.maybe she's infertile?
Infertile mantids lay ooths just like fertile mantids. That also has nothing to do with it. Maybe she is being kept too cool? Unlikely but worth a look. Sometimes if they are taking awhile you can give them more options such as letting her free range on a large house plant or giving her more space with a larger enclosure with more places to lay her ooth. I've had this problem but it has been rare and doing one of the things I mentioned often does the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Infertile mantids lay ooths just like fertile mantids. That also has nothing to do with it. Maybe she is being kept too cool? Unlikely but worth a look. Sometimes if they are taking awhile you can give them more options such as letting her free range on a large house plant or giving her more space with a larger enclosure with more places to lay her ooth. I've had this problem but it has been rare and doing one of the things I mentioned often does the trick.
Oh. Well I'll try letting her hang out in a larger cage. Hopefully that will work out.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts