giant asian: grandis or membranacea?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
basicly dude, people like to stick names on things so they sell better, h.grandis and h.mems look to the naked eye stupidly similar so (rather annoying) people just pic one of the names at random. i have mated so called h.grandis with h.mems to give viable offspring, and as one was deffinately a h.mem the other must of been as well (hybrids will not produce fertile offspring)

so 9 times out of 10 a h.grandis sold in the uk...and it seems germany will actually be a h.mem that has been named incorrectly.... ;)

and thats what mr byatt taught me many years ago ;D

basicly dude, people like to stick names on things so they sell better, h.grandis and h.mems look to the naked eye stupidly similar so (rather annoying) people just pic one of the names at random. i have mated so called h.grandis with h.mems to give viable offspring, and as one was deffinately a h.mem the other must of been as well (hybrids will not produce fertile offspring) so 9 times out of 10 a h.grandis sold in the uk...and it seems germany will actually be a h.mem that has been named incorrectly.... ;)

and thats what mr byatt taught me many years ago ;D
some experts define two similar races as being distinct species if they are geographically seperated, say by mountains or river, and will not likely cross in the wild. this could be the case with these two mantids. or they have minor physical differences that the expert thinks warrants seperate species status. but they may indeed be able to produce fertile offspring (and be practically the same species by this important definition). surely there are just two many similar species to test each ones viablity with crossing experiments

some experts define two similar races as being distinct species if they are geographically seperated, say by mountains or river, and will not likely cross in the wild. this could be the case with these two mantids. or they have minor physical differences that the expert thinks warrants seperate species status. but they may indeed be able to produce fertile offspring (and be practically the same species by this important definition). surely there are just two many similar species to test each ones viablity with crossing experiments
Almost, but that would make it a sub species ;)

well tbh i dont care if its grandis or the other one..as long as i get a male and female fomr the same ooth i dont care..what gets confusing is when u have a so called grandis thats adult female and trying to find a mate is inposiball cause u dont know whats going on..is it grandis is it the other one..same with flwoer mantis..very confusing..Oh the Hierodula solomonis..what an amazing mantid.im going to take some new pics today il post them up later..the way its legs are like hollow sticks and the shade of pink its a cool mantid.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol mj you dont care what it are as long as they mate, lay ooths, hatch out, and grow up ;) mines seems to be a little hungry soo i go feed them(again, and again, and again etc)

lol mj you dont care what it are as long as they mate, lay ooths, hatch out, and grow up ;) mines seems to be a little hungry soo i go feed them(again, and again, and again etc)
yer mine to..L5 they eat untill they look like there going to pop :lol:

H. grandis is rather different from H. membranacea. But the "grandis" and membranacea stuff that is in culture are all the same.

Latest posts