Giant moth! ID please...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Just went to mist my phasmids and saw this monster in the net cage with them. Last month I found a huge cocoon in the woods. I brought it home and kept it in with the phasmids. Was beginning to wonder if it was a dud. I guess not!

It landed on my nose and covered half my face.

Now I don't know what to do with it. What do people do with these? Set them free I'd imagine. I'll do that before too long. Wish I could have seen it emerge.

Some quick pics:

eIMG_0390.jpg

eIMG_0391.jpg

That's a cecropia moth. great find! it will die a few days after emerging so you should let it go soon so it can mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet how big is its wing span. sure its not as big as atticus atlas, lol. it looks huge

I had a number of Eastern Tent Caterpillars recently eclose and the moths died within a day or two (in captivity). Was going to use them for yummies. They really do perish quickly. That's a gorgeous critter Henry. And BTW: What nose? According to your avatar, you don't have one !

You can release it where you live, they're known to fly for miles in search of female pheromones. The cecropia is the largest moth we have in North America.

They are beautiful. I raised them for a few years. The caterpillars are really neat, too and change with each instar. The adult stage doesn't eat. I agree that it's OK to let it go at your place. Lucky you have them there. I only see Polyphemus here in the wild.

Did it leave any stains behind? They sometimes do when they are inflating their wings.

Latest posts