Gimpy Leg Aphid Nibbler

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
I have a mantid (s. limbata) named gimpy leg that lives in my rose bushes. I raised her from an ooth and she had a gimpy leg - hence the name. since i had so many i put her in the front yard garden. She seems to really like it out there. Yesterday i caught a glimpse of her grabbing on to a bud and folding it toward her mouth. When she had bent the bud stem enough i saw that she was carefully nibbling off the aphids from there like you might eat cob of corn. Pretty cool. I have been feeding those aphids to my GSEs and i thought it kind of interesting that although she had never eaten aphids in captivity she seemed to like them on the roses.

Neat observation! Wild mantis accounts are rare here and captive-raised and released natives even more so. You don't know my uncle Dr. Norman Campbell in Pasadena, do you? He's been in the local butterfly hobby for like 90 years. Haven't talked to him in a couple years...should probably check in...

campbell_norman_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mantid (s. limbata) named gimpy leg that lives in my rose bushes. I raised her from an ooth and she had a gimpy leg - hence the name. since i had so many i put her in the front yard garden. She seems to really like it out there. Yesterday i caught a glimpse of her grabbing on to a bud and folding it toward her mouth. When she had bent the bud stem enough i saw that she was carefully nibbling off the aphids from there like you might eat cob of corn. Pretty cool. I have been feeding those aphids to my GSEs and i thought it kind of interesting that although she had never eaten aphids in captivity she seemed to like them on the roses.
Can you get a pic of this behavior?

I'm surprised to hear that a GSE would get filled on aphids. My adult female will eat four bbs in a sitting, and still want more.

Ummm.... :unsure: what's a GSE? :)
Not "a" GSE Katt! It stands for Ground Support Equipment, and comprises transportation and emergency vehicles used at an air base or airfield. These vehicles have fuel injectors similar to those used in planes, called APHIDs (AirPlane Miniature Injection Devices).

Hope that helps. Can I go have lunch, now, please? :p

GSE = gambian spotted eyes ;)

I will definitely try to get my wife to take a pic of her eating the aphids. I have had to hunt her down in the roses since she has apparently migrated first to some tulips then back to the roses about 3 yards from where I first placed her. I hand fed her a cricket today to supplement her aphid snacks.

Peter, I do not know your uncle Dr. Campbell - nice collection he has there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not "a" GSE Katt! It stands for Ground Support Equipment, and comprises transportation and emergency vehicles used at an air base or airfield. These vehicles have fuel injectors similar to those used in planes, called APHIDs (AirPlane Miniature Injection Devices).Hope that helps. Can I go have lunch, now, please? :p
Yes, Phil.... PLEASE go eat your lunch! :rolleyes: I can't think of anything else to say, except your explanation wasn't particularly helpful this time. :p

Thanks, Arkanis. ;)

*mumbling to myself... I'm going to feed Phil some aphids...* :lol:

Latest posts