Glass Mantis - Pink Leopard Spots!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Well, now both of mine are red. The blue one molted to subadult and now has pink leopard spots filled with powder blue. :)

This is what it used to look like...

Sinomantis_4070-sm.jpg

Now it looks like this...

SinoA_0204-sm.jpg

SinoA_0203-sm.jpg

SinoA_0190-sm.jpg

SinoA_0195-sm.jpg

SinoA_0191-sm.jpg

Check out the wing buds...

SinoA_0193-sm.jpg

And this is the other one (pre-sub). As you can see there is some difference in the patterning and the other has more red in the eyes.

SinoB_0224-sm.jpg

SinoB_0216-sm.jpg

SinoB_0207-sm.jpg

SinoB_0221-sm.jpg

Very interesting that even the wings are speckled, but I'm trying to figure out where that type of camouflage would come in handy out in the wild? I would think it would draw attention not detour it.

Very interesting that even the wings are speckled, but I'm trying to figure out where that type of camouflage would come in handy out in the wild? I would think it would draw attention not detour it.
Maybe they hang out on a flower with that patterning??? I have no idea, but Yen said it's not a common color morph. Interesting I ended up with 2 morphs from 2 different ooths. A friend of mine has a red one too.

I think it's strange one went red as a presub but it didn't hit the other till sub.

I had a "BRAIN STORM"(and I think I hurt myself), the reason their that pattern is so other predators will think their poisonous! :detective:

Cool spots!!! Those really DO look like leopard spots, but red rings with blue centers. REALLY cool mantids! If I had any spare cages & spare money I'd buy some.

I'm still stuck on why they're transparent. Usually creatures that are transparent live in the dark. Where are they originally from? Oh, and excellent pictures as always. :)

One word:

Awesome. B)

I love the red and blue leopard spots. Here's hoping it'll last all the way to adult. I really want to see their wings if that color holds. :D

I'm still stuck on why they're transparent. Usually creatures that are transparent live in the dark. Where are they originally from? Oh, and excellent pictures as always. :)
They're from Hong Kong. From what I understand it's dark there at night. :D

I have witnessed quite a few crab spiders that have bright colors and are sort of transparent, they are often on flowers.

I don't usually see them until I have already put my flowers into a vase, or until they attack my fingers. :rolleyes: Those beautiful colors probably help the mantis to blend in.

I could imagine those mantids with the red color, doing quite well on, or hanging from under, some of those flowers that have red and white speckled petals.

Latest posts