GLASS MANTIS! See food enter stomach (video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definitely want this species. But they can't take fruit flies at L1. I had trouble feeding springtails to L. minor nymphs and they all died :( . So I'm cautious about similar sized mantis nymphs. I hope you get another one and can breed them.
There is a method to making springtails available that I was unaware of at the time. I had never used or even seen them before so I just didn't know. From what I've read you create a moist substrate in your enclosure - moss or loose soil - and dump water from a sprintail culture in to seed a new culture. They will establish new generations directly in the substrate so long as you keep it moist and supply them with a few grains of rice to grow the mold they live on.

I did it completely wrong. I added a separate little container of water and charcoal which only served to keep them separate from the nymphs. If they had been mixed with the substrate they would have climbed the walls of the enclosure. They require pretty much 100% humidity so will keep to the moist substrate for the most part. Those who go exploring become food.

Anyone try this or have info to share on the subject?

I wonder what the Blue would look like under UV bulb, please say you have one, very cool B)
I thought it did at first but no fluorescence under black light. I was excited for a minute there. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
wow didnt know they had translucent mantids! man... i would love to try and sculpt that in plastic for a class assignment or something

Wow fantastic. Great job precarious and very nice pictures and videos :)

PS: I will buy an ooteca if you mate them :lol:

FREEZE~!!!

How is this mantis species NOT in EVERY elementary school in America!!! At least the video!
I don't think anyone knew they were clear until I took this video and photos. It's not obvious. To the naked eye they appear frosty light blue, probably due to light refraction. It's only when you zoom in close it becomes apparent they are clear. I hope 'Glass Mantis' sticks as a common name. That would be sweet!

I'm going to do a much better video so stay tuned. ;)

I don't think anyone knew they were clear until I took this video and photos. It's not obvious. To the naked eye they appear frosty light blue, probably due to light refraction. It's only when you zoom in close it becomes apparent they are clear. I hope 'Glass Mantis' sticks as a common name. That would be sweet!

Dang it! Another reason to be jealous! You're gonna get to NAME a mantis! Yer just RUBBIN it in, now! ;-)

OH MY GOODNESS!!! This is by far, THE COOLEST mantis I have EVER seen!!! WOW!!! I'm so glad you are an amazing photographer, so you could really capture the beauty of this exotic mantis!

That is a better idea regarding the springtails. Especially considering I know what you're talking about with them climbing the glass (they climb the glass and jump right off). I had them separate and even though I was able to get a bunch in the container, the kept hiding (didn't have enough in there). I definitely plan on giving this species a go one day.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! This is by far, THE COOLEST mantis I have EVER seen!!! WOW!!! I'm so glad you are an amazing photographer, so you could really capture the beauty of this exotic mantis!
Thanks, Deby. Don't forget to credit Yen for breeding and sharing this species. ;)

Anybody that would like to try these should watch the 'For Sale' section. Yen was selling L3 nymphs this week but they're all gone now. He'll have more soon so keep an eye out.

Is the second video close?

Please sir, I want some more :p
:) I'm holding off a bit...

I just got my new camcorder today (Canon Vixia HF S200). It more than doubles the megapixels of the old one and the sensor is twice the size. Also has a better lens set, dynamic image stabilization, AND I'm investing in a good quality magnifying filter (multi-coated or achromatic elements). The old one was just glass which is why there were so many chromatic aberrations when zoomed in (all fuzzy, loss of contrast, diffusion of highlights). I'm waiting for the memory card and filter to get here. Should have them the middle of next week.

I think it will be worth the wait. :sorcerer:

I also got 5 more nymphs from Yen just in case.

Glass Mantis or TRON mantis.... FACT: The TRON Mantis is the only species of mantis that is able to create and ride a lightcycle. :lol:

Thanks, Deby. Don't forget to credit Yen for breeding and sharing this species. ;)

Anybody that would like to try these should watch the 'For Sale' section. Yen was selling L3 nymphs this week but they're all gone now. He'll have more soon so keep an eye out.
You're right! Thanks Yen for being amazing and somehow getting and breeding all sorts of super cool mantids!

I really wish I could buy some, but I'm broke. Still, I feel like it's our duty, as a mantis community, to breed these and make them a more common species. They would be great for education and just really cool pets!

Awesome picture and video! Very Cool. I have kept springtails for a few years, I use them for my dart frogs, and I created a post in the food/feeding section here at mantid forums if you are still curious about springtails.

Latest posts