Glorious scarab care?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuzu

Reaction score
Shot in the dark, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had any knowledge of keeping glorious scarabs ( Chrysina gloriosa ). I can't seem to find any info on their care. If I get one It'd be a L2 larvae. Thanks if anyone can help me out here!

I have some larvae at the moment but no experience with the actual beetles as of yet. They seem to have a long prepupal period - mine have made pupal cells against the container walls but are taking their time about it! The larvae have been curled up in there for weeks, just shifting around every so often to let me know they're still alive. Orin's book says to supply the larvae with finely ground decayed wood. (I think I gave mine more leaflitter than I should have, so maybe that's why mine are taking a while.) According to the book, the adults eat juniper but if you don't have that they will also eat pear or jellies. Hope that helps!

I have some larvae at the moment but no experience with the actual beetles as of yet. They seem to have a long prepupal period - mine have made pupal cells against the container walls but are taking their time about it! The larvae have been curled up in there for weeks, just shifting around every so often to let me know they're still alive. Orin's book says to supply the larvae with finely ground decayed wood. (I think I gave mine more leaflitter than I should have, so maybe that's why mine are taking a while.) According to the book, the adults eat juniper but if you don't have that they will also eat pear or jellies. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the speedy response! Yeah, I read they take a while to pupate haha. What type of enclosure do you have for it? I'm also looking into hercules beetles as well. Can't seem to find any info on what type of enclosure they should have either. :(

Thanks for the speedy response! Yeah, I read they take a while to pupate haha. What type of enclosure do you have for it? I'm also looking into hercules beetles as well. Can't seem to find any info on what type of enclosure they should have either. :(
I have them in 16oz deli containers full of substrate. Once they're adults they'll be going into a small aquarium tank to hopefully make lots of babies! :D  I don't know a thing about hercules beetles, unfortunately. 

I have a whole bunch of Pelidnota punctate larvae right now(actually trying to get rid of some because feeding them is a nightmare). Adults are a very attractive and nice bronze color and look like a glinting piece of medal. They are easy and straight foreward- I feed the grubs 100% rotten hardwood. If you want the females to lay eggs, you need to keep them in some wood. I kept mine in 100% wood flakes, and I feed the adults beetle jellies and maple syrup mixed with water.  

Latest posts