goin goin gongy?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gripen

Reaction score
To me it seems as idolos get more prolific gongys seem to suffer. i cant even remember the last time nymphs of this species were sold through a classifieds add. who is still actually breeding this species? (aka has 1st gen or greater nymphs or a large amount of breeding stock) please come forward so we can assess the state of this species in the US.

To me it seems as idolos get more prolific gongys seem to suffer. i cant even remember the last time nymphs of this species were sold through a classifieds add. who is still actually breeding this species? (aka has 1st gen or greater nymphs or a large amount of breeding stock) please come forward so we can assess the state of this species in the US.
I've noticed the disappearance as well. 2 years ago, everyone had a gongy, and idolos were as hard to find then as trachys are now. I even bought a gongy ooth, which hatched into 17 nymphs. Most mismolted, and the last one died at subadult. But now, it's switched rolls. I had an idolo about 4 months ago and now have 4 more.

I've got Two ooths incubating, and one lonely L-6 or so female Nymph...but I have NOT bred these. they are purchases and so do not really meet your criterion. If I am not mistaken Hertarm45's are also purchases. Ghozt supplied my ooths so I believe he is actively breeding them and should be a Gen or more into it. my Nymph I got from a different party and am not sure how much breeding he has done...probably quite a bit knowing him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got Two ooths incubating, and one lonely L-6 or so female Nymph...but I have NOT bred these. they are purchases and so do not really meet your criterion. If I am not mistaken Hertarm45's are also purchases. Ghozt supplied my ooths so I believe he is actively breeding them and should be a Gen or more into it. my Nymph I got from a different party and am not sure how much breeding he has done...probably quite a bit knowing him.
thanks for the info.

I have nymphs approaching adulthood. If all goes well, I will have Gongy ooths and nymphs for sale this summer.

I have hundreds of them....I am always selling ooths,all time,But I do not live in the US though.

yeah they are booming in europe but seem absent here in the US.

I have been looking for months for some gongys. They have been very scarce which is sad. About a year ago they seemed to be booming.

I have been looking for months for some gongys. They have been very scarce which is sad. About a year ago they seemed to be booming.
yes they were as common as idolos are now. so sad since gongys to me seem a lot better.

I never got the honor of keeping them. Now I regret it.

Yeah - I had SOOOOO many Gongy's at one point. But Idolos were more fun, more impressive and (at that time) more challenging. But I am still a HUGE Gongy fan. IMO, Gongy, Idolo and Ghosts are the gold standard in the hobby, with Orchids being in their own category (just gorgeous).

I know there are still a lot here in the states - so toss a post in the classifieds... I suspect you'll get lucky.

Yeah - I had SOOOOO many Gongy's at one point. But Idolos were more fun, more impressive and (at that time) more challenging. But I am still a HUGE Gongy fan. IMO, Gongy, Idolo and Ghosts are the gold standard in the hobby, with Orchids being in their own category (just gorgeous).

I know there are still a lot here in the states - so toss a post in the classifieds... I suspect you'll get lucky.
i have to disagree. idolos seem so... boring i guess. they sit in one place and eat your face if you try and touch them. my trachy is such a sweet heart though. she could walk around and vibrate on my hand all day. my idolos not so much.

Hmmm. Not my experience, at all. As adults, some of the males were a bit jumpy, but they all calmed down after a bit. They LOVED being out, so when I'd open the cage and offer a hand, they were pretty quick to get on (generally). And they were great photo ops for my staff and friends.

IMG_4928.jpg

Were your's kept individually? Maybe my communal setups made a difference. Another differnce might be, that my cages all START at about chest level - so I'll always reaching UP to get them. I know that makes a difference with cats!!

Latest posts