Going into the light

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
I was wondering what you all do for Mantids that clearly slowing down from old age? Like how long do you let them go before they go into the light?

Mama Hierodula, is so clearly on her way out and I don't really know what to do. She's still alive, but she has slowed down significantly, her color is changing, and the way she grips branches is different. She's 7 months adult now and she's lived a good life, but I feel bad ya know. Do you all let them go all the way or is there some point when you step in and make that decision?

Once we dub an animal a "pet", I feel we are obligated to provide care (or find someone who will) until the end, assuming the animal isn't suffering. Getting old, slow, and less eye-appealing, is obviously inevitable and we'll all experience the same... but it isn't the same as suffering and you don't mention anything that sounds like distress. You've taken great care of her so far, so there's no reason to feel bad. A mantis that dies of old age had a great owner... you should be proud of that accomplishment and just enjoy the time she has left. :)  Trust me, you'll know when it's time.

If a mantis is dying of old age, I usually let it live the rest of its life out. Give her some honey if you want, as a treat. Don't feel bad. If a mantis finally dies of old age instead of sickness, mismolt, or bad care, then you know that you took good care of her. 

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts