Gongylus, gongylodes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
My females finally shed to adult just before and after thanksgiving (2 of 3).

I'll show pics of them from hatching up to adult. Sorry, I don't have a pic of each instar. :p

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

continues next post........

Great photos! Man, I wish I had a camera or the money to afford a nice one!!

Nice. What conditions do you keep them in?

Thanks guys, a LOT of work has gone into raising them. :D

Nice. What conditions do you keep them in?
About 50% humidity, 100-110F basking, and 80-90 ambient. At night its about 75. Based on what I've seen while raising them, I think they will be fine being kept in the 80-90F range, but when its mating time, the 100F+ IS required. ;)

(I also kept my ootheca at 90F apprx. with a light misting twice a day.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on getting them to adult mate, I wish you the best of luck breeding them

I failed with this species. Last two females mismolted beyond rescue - bummer.

The thing that saddens me is that I had a female which underwent one extra molt, I was hoping that she would mature - but when I saw her entangled in her own molt by the morning, there was no hope left.

Just don't get it, 35C, no spraying, a lot of flying food and a total disaster...

I've noticed that to do require to be kept dry, but they MUST be well hydrated. If they are not hydrated well, they do mismolt. I usually spray mine once every 2 days. Since they are kept very warm, the excess water evaporated quickly. ;)

I've noticed that to do require to be kept dry, but they MUST be well hydrated. If they are not hydrated well, they do mismolt. I usually spray mine once every 2 days. Since they are kept very warm, the excess water evaporated quickly. ;)
I only kept feeding them flies that are filled with water, honey or fruit juice (with fruit flues) - but maybe you are right, a bit of humidity raise should possobly help them, because molts from sub to adult with the females were a total disaster...

I spray just before the final moult when the wing buds are very swollen

I received 30 nymphs one month ago, now I'm down to only 20... I think I will give this species up, because it's not going well...

I received 30 nymphs one month ago, now I'm down to only 20... I think I will give this species up, because it's not going well...
:huh: Why give up on them, Kruszakus? You still have 20! And even if you did lose 10 in the past month, you now have a month more experience and knowledge in keeping them. That's something, and it will surely help you with the rest of the bunch in the future.

Latest posts