Gongylus gongylodes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guapoalto049

Reaction score
I currently have 3 female and 2 male L5/L6 G. gongylodes. This is my first time with the species or any Empusidae for that matter. They all seem to be non-aggressive and take a blue bottle or house fly about every third day, sometimes less frequently. Is this behavior typical of the species? My Chinese, Narrow-Winged, Europeans, and even Ghosts have been growing at a much faster rate.

All are kept in net butterfly cages outside during the day, where it typically reaches 85-90C at ~60% r.h. My guess is the humidity may be on the high side and the temp should increase.

Something tells me most Empusidae are on the docile side and this should be expected, but I figured I'd ask the experts since, as I mentioned, this is my first time with the species.

Sounds about right. As long as they are not thin they are probably getting enough to eat.

I currently have 3 female and 2 male L5/L6 G. gongylodes. This is my first time with the species or any Empusidae for that matter. They all seem to be non-aggressive and take a blue bottle or house fly about every third day, sometimes less frequently. Is this behavior typical of the species? My Chinese, Narrow-Winged, Europeans, and even Ghosts have been growing at a much faster rate.

All are kept in net butterfly cages outside during the day, where it typically reaches 85-90C at ~60% r.h. My guess is the humidity may be on the high side and the temp should increase.

Something tells me most Empusidae are on the docile side and this should be expected, but I figured I'd ask the experts since, as I mentioned, this is my first time with the species.
I have six violin's L4/L5 and they eat 2-3 house flies a day each every day! I thought that was normal.or are they pigs?

I have six violin's L4/L5 and they eat 2-3 house flies a day each every day! I thought that was normal.or are they pigs?
Mine will take 2-3 flies each a day.

I have four in a cage now and they all ate up about 10 today.

They usually seem pretty hungry if I skip a day or two for ordering pupae. I try and order Them a day before I run out of flies. Gives them slight periods of no food.

Their abdomens will get pretty fat when they have eaten up a bunch of flies. They are very good eaters and catch flies instantly the second I dump a bunch in the cage. They already have them, wagging back and fourth while chowing down. They will take two at a time as well, one in each "hand".

It also seems their claws stick to the net cage easy, but they can pull them out no problem too. Kinda weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine will take 2-3 flies each a day.

I have four in a cage now and they all ate up about 10 today.

They usually seem pretty hungry if I skip a day or two for ordering pupae. I try and order Them a day before I run out of flies. Gives them slight periods of no food.

Their abdomens will get pretty fat when they have eaten up a bunch of flies. They are very good eaters and catch flies instantly the second I dump a bunch in the cage. They already have them, wagging back and fourth while chowing down. They will take two at a time as well, one in each "hand".

It also seems their claws stick to the net cage easy, but they can pull them out no problem too. Kinda weird.
I've noticed the same thing in the butterfly net cages with their apical claw getting stuck. Reegarding my original post, they all must be on the same growing clock because two days after I posted this each one moulted! Now they are eating like a couple of Kobayashis.

Have you noticed that as the females get older, they get more and more black? All my males are the typical yellowish brown, yet the females are a dusky grey/nearly black. Pretty scary looking now!

I've noticed the same thing in the butterfly net cages with their apical claw getting stuck. Reegarding my original post, they all must be on the same growing clock because two days after I posted this each one moulted! Now they are eating like a couple of Kobayashis.

Have you noticed that as the females get older, they get more and more black? All my males are the typical yellowish brown, yet the females are a dusky grey/nearly black. Pretty scary looking now!
I use home built aluminum screen cages and they walk with no sticking. and its cat proof non rusting and cheap!