Good news! - Disabled mantis eating!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnival Glass

Reaction score
Nemo, who had a mismolt last night is now eating again! This time I've gotten some "super worms" and she seems to enjoy it (after some cajoling lol).  :D She holds it against her nubby arm and I help with some tweezers if it seems to be getting away from her. In the pic, she's on top of her terrarium, rather than inside. 

IMG_20171005_212144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Glad she's eating, although she's not looking her best ;)  lol

Awesome! Glad she's eating, although she's not looking her best ;)  lol
Yes me too!! And yeah lol when she saw the worm, she stood WAY up as tall as she could and it looked so funny.  :sweatdrop:  For awhile she and the worm were both drinking from the same water droplet too, practically bumping heads lol~

You honestly should put that poor thing out of its misery. 

I'm with Rick on this one. I was trying not to sound like a jerk when saying she's not looking her best. The way she is bent and everything is mangled.... let's just say her quality of life is not great; if you believe bugs actually feel like that. 

I would say to put her down as well. Even if she does eat and survive. I can't imagine what she'll look like after another molt. Sorry for your mantis

I would say to put her down as well. Even if she does eat and survive. I can't imagine what she'll look like after another molt. Sorry for your mantis
Unfortunately that was her final molt. So there is no way that she could heal herself...

If its its last molt then i think shed be fine. Its good shes eating.

Poor dear, I feel so bad for her and for you.

Please keep in mind that superworms may be capable of biting. Your mantis, in this condition, isn't able to toss it if it does bite her.  

I do offer superworms to my crew on occasion but only after they have been rendered incapable of biting. Just to be sure.

It is difficult I know... but she is depending on you to do whats best for her. Sometimes a gentle passing is the kinder thing.

Poor dear, I feel so bad for her and for you.

Please keep in mind that superworms may be capable of biting. Your mantis, in this condition, isn't able to toss it if it does bite her.  

I do offer superworms to my crew on occasion but only after they have been rendered incapable of biting. Just to be sure.

It is difficult I know... but she is depending on you to do whats best for her. Sometimes a gentle passing is the kinder thing.
I actually do hold/disable the worms before giving them to her, and hang onto them til she has it all under control. It can take awhile but I don't mind taking things at her pace. I do feel awful about her mismolt and how bad she looks and I am honestly contemplating what everyone here is saying about putting her out of this misery. I'm just not sure since she can eat and climb and groom..It's hard to tell how she's feeling through all this.  :(

Its clear that you don't mind going the extra mile for your girl. Also very obvious that you care a great deal for her. For whatever its worth, I totally understand. I am walking the same path with my 21 year old cat, knowing there will soon come a time when I will have to make that hard call. My best to you both.

You are very lucky that she is doing okay(besides her looks). My Giant Rainforest female, Otulissa, had crippled wings and legs, did not eat, and then died about a week later. I wish the best to you and to Nemo :)

Latest posts