Good Orchid or plant species for a ghost mantis vivarium?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deathlok

Reaction score
I want to build an 8x8x8 or 8x8x12 exoterra nano vivarium to put a ghost mantis (maybe pair) inside of. What species of plants or orchids would be suitable for that kind of vivarium? I need it to still be suitable for ghost mantids. And how would I plant and care for these plants? All help is appreciated.

You said in the other thread that you want to incorporate ferns. Ebony Spleenwort is a good choice. It's small and it doesn't need as much moisture as other ferns.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said in the other thread that you want to incorporate ferns. Ebony Spleenwort is a good choice. It's small and it doesn't need as much moisture as other ferns.
Those are absolutely beautiful and perfect! And inexpensive. Do you think I can plant them on a modular cork planter attached to a backdrop? They are on this link http://www.neherpetoculture.com/wood And what do you think of the zoo med cork branches and manzanita branches as a high perch and molting spot?

Those are absolutely beautiful and perfect! And inexpensive. Do you think I can plant them on a modular cork planter attached to a backdrop? They are on this link http://www.neherpetoculture.com/wood And what do you think of the zoo med cork branches and manzanita branches as a high perch and molting spot?
Or could I plant the ferns at the bottom? They claim to like little nooks and crannies
They need good drainage so putting the spleenwort in a planter on the backdrop would probably be better.

Jewel orchids are terrestrial, so put them on directly on the substrate. Also, you should consider a nice vining to tie everything together.

Yeah. There are lots of them but my favorite vine is Marcgravia species. They grow somewhat slowly, which is a beneficial trait for your small vivarium, and their looks blow everything else out of the water. I think I have 5 species of it, but sorry, I can't give any of it away because currently they're just cuttings that are establishing right now.

Latest posts