Good things about crickets

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha - I always thought that the feeder crickets looked different from any others I'd seen around here. Now I know I'm not the only one.

I successfully keep small amounts of crickets in the same 32-ounce bug cups previously used for mantids before they outgrew them. With a chunk of cardboard egg carton and fresh romaine lettuce, they can live in there for weeks. Even the feeding hole in the side is useful for dispensing crickets one at a time, and if you dispense them into a shot glass that's the same size as the feeding hole, chances of escape are slim. The best part is that, once in the shot glass, they don't jump! In fact they barely move at all. I've been using this method for weeks now and I have yet to see a cricket jump out of the shot glass. This allows plenty of time (and both hands) to open the lid on the mantis container before it's bottoms up for the cricket. B)

well here in CT the easiest food to get for our mantids is to go to the petstore and buy a bunch of crickets. That's the easiest way to get food, no ordering and shipping, no catching things!

i dont know if the crix you guys buy over there are different to ours (most likely) but ours can easily breed with the wild field crickets. they may be a different color but theyre still the same species.

Ok let me explain what I mean. I see plenty of wild crickets but have yet to see a wild house cricket such as the ones you buy. I feed the wild ones to my mantids all hte time. Parasites has never been a problem so go ahead and use them.
I do mean that I have wild house crickets outside...

For me the parasites are only of secondary concern...I have no idea what they eat!

Latest posts