Grain mites in springails

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystymantis

Reaction score
So I was looking at my springtail culture saw some grain mites! I don't understand how they got in there because the container is on mite paper. It just is really annoying. Will the springtail colony crash if the mites are not removed? Because I read that they can out compete the springtails and make the die off. Is there any possible way to remove the grain mites?

No one ever starts off with a pristine enclosure.  A few mites were probably there to begin with.  If the mites get out of control, you might want to flood your enclosure, and pore the floating springtails into a new, clean enclosure.

Ok thanks so much for the advice @Introvertebrate!

The mites aren't too prolific at the moment but I saw several rather large plump ones. I will flood it then if they get too out of control. I will keep a watch to make sure they don't get out of control.

I have a product on my site where u just sit the culture in it and the mites should die off. Other than that, how did you see them and how do you know they are mites, could they be baby springs?

I have a product on my site where u just sit the culture in it and the mites should die off. Other than that, how did you see them and how do you know they are mites, could they be baby springs?
They are grain mites for sure. I know what grain mites look like and have had them infest my fruit fly cultures before. Invasive little arachnids they are!  But I know they are mites because they move slowly and well have 8 legs! The baby springails are much thinner and much faster.

Right now far as I can tell my fly colonies have no grain mites, so hoping they don't migrate to the them from the springtail colony. They are in different areas to help prevent this. So fingers crossed they won't infect my flies too.

Last edited by a moderator: