grasshopper food black liquid inside dangerous?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I fed my Iris Oratoria a green grasshopper from outside. when she ate it i noticed a black liquid just like the black death liquid in sick mantids.  I got scared because i never seen so much in a grasshopper besides a tiny bit of brown stuff from their mouths.  I got scared and sprayed it with water until she let it go.  Then I had to literally clean her from all the liquid that squirt on her eyes and raptors.  Has anyone seen this?  Am i in danger of loosing her?  I feel so bad.

Thank you

You will have to let us know, don't know if anyone has this happen. I think she will be ok, give her a drink a couple times a day to

help her clear out her stomach.

Grasshoppers when caught will puke a black substance. It is harmless, and does nothing except create a stain on the side of the cage. 

- MantisGirl13

Grasshoppers puke when they are scared. I feed my mantids mostly with grasshoppers because I dont want to feed them crickets. Even when i move  sometimes my grasshoppers  puke on me when I am moving them to heir clean home one by one.

It is harmless but messy.

All locusts/grasshoppers create the black substance as a repellent to ward off predators. I believe that they are used as feeders in the UK, so I'm sure that your mantis will be fine,