Grasshopper identification/breeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

Reaction score
In the field I frequent I happened to catch what I assume to be a male/female grasshopper pair. They are both around 1 1/2 to 2 inches long; their wings are black and green:

grasshopper2.jpg

and

grasshopper1.jpg

Anything care-specific I should be doing? What do they lay their eggs in? It would be nice if I could breed these... they're huge!

Ours look like fleas compared to that... Sorry i'm not sure on an exact species, but nice catch :)

I took a better photo:

2inchgrasshopper.jpg

For now I'll just set them up with dirt, grass, and maybe some greens, and see what happens. :)

I have them outside umm I think they lay thier eggs in the ground not sure though if not the ground most likley dirt

wow katie, thats beautiful. The grasshoppers we get here are about the size of medium crickets, teeny things. I belive they are Chorthippus brunneus or a smiliar species.

Cheers,

Ian

Both of those are female. Post a good pic of each ones abdomen so I can tell for sure. Yeah Samzo we have some large grasshoppers in the US. You should see the bird grasshoppers we have around here. They are quite a bit bigger.

Aw, what a shame. That's either very good news or disappointing news. They both flew up from the same spot, so I assumed they were a pair. :( Oh well. If they don't lay eggs in the next month, Merry Mantis will have herself a nice big meal. I wish we had some of those "bird grasshoppers" around here, although if they're more difficult to catch than these, I'd be out of luck. :lol:

abdomens.jpg

Still both look female. But would need to see the tip of the abdomen better to be sure. I am 99% sure they are both female now though. The bird grasshoppers here are almost imposible to catch. I catch some other large ones here every week to feed mantids. Never had any luck trying to keep them though.

You sex them by looking at the end of the abdomen. Females are pointed like in the pics. When I get back home I will find a pair and take a pic so you can compare.

Latest posts