Grasshopper question...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I don't know what stage my Carolina is, but she's decent sized now. I've put a grasshopper in her enclosure for the first time ever. It's been quite the challenge for Jade. It's been a few hours and she still hasn't been able to catch it and keep it from getting away. Should I remove it from her enclosure tonight or just let it play out and see what happens?  It's getting late and I have to head to bed soon. I didn't know if the grasshopper being in there too long could be bad for Jade. I thought the change in prey from flies might be nice for a change for her. 

Here is a picture for size reference. ?

20170727_170739.jpg

Thank you!  I was starting to get nervous about leaving it. Someone on Facebook said the grasshopper will harm Jade, but I doubted that because I have read that they often eat them and most advice says to remove crickets if they don't eat them. I can sleep tonight. Lol

If it is a wild-caught grasshopper, be aware that mantises can become hosts to Nematomorpha from ingesting unhatched eggs that a grasshopper has eaten.

Latest posts