Green and fugly Mel culture!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
My wife Fairy mantis (who has been conspicuously absent from the forum since realizing the calendar deadline has passed) made a Flightless mel and a normal Mel culture on 10/12. They are doing great BUT... the Mel culture, while rife with flies, is carpeted in a hairy green mold. The flies still seem able to access the tender masa beneath, but I am wondering whether my wife, kids and i will all die of spore inhalation or be fine. Thanks for your sage advice.

:mellow: hummm, I am thinking u will all grow the mold on your heads too! Only thing is the kids may turn on you, because at the tender age of the youngsters we really don't know how spongy head mold will affect them, better to shave their heads now and advoid the nightmars! Shouldn't hurt u and the wife though, after all YOU had KIDs! :lol:

What kind of medium did you use? Home made? I prefer to use commercially made medium which includes a mold inhibitor.

:mellow: hummm, I am thinking u will all grow the mold on your heads too! Only thing is the kids may turn on you, because at the tender age of the youngsters we really don't know how spongy head mold will affect them, better to shave their heads now and advoid the nightmars! Shouldn't hurt u and the wife though, after all YOU had KIDs! :lol:
I hate to challenge you on any mantis related topic, Hibiscusmile, but there is little doubt that, having inhaled the deadly death dust, the whole family is doomed. This infection causes more deaths per year in the Southwest than Valley Fever and Texas Root Rot combined. Perhaps you were just trying to cheer them up in their final, agonizing days. I certainly won't tell the poor guy. Which button do I press to make this a "private correspondence?"

the kids may turn on you
Ok, now Im confused and a little scared of moldy headed kids running around reeking havoc, :p but I think the chances of you having zombie mold are slim lol. Mold is all around us all the time in the air and all over your house, I would think that the mold in your ff culture is harmless to your family but if it bothers you you should just get rid of it. Heres a brief video on mold and ff cultures. http://www.expertvillage.com/video/14595_c...fungus-mold.htm

Yea, but black mold is the bad one, green headed kids came out in the seventies and although we are in trouble from their offspring, we still have a couple of centuries to go before they can do away with us, and the " the cone of silence button"! NO not that one, it lets out a deadly gasssssssss!

I wouldn't worry about the mold...I have a worm composter and every time I add any starches, they get covered with mold. Hasn't killed us yet!

Next time add a little honey or vinegar to your mix?

it was mentioned here, and also in the lined videos that comercial media is available. I live in the UK could any one give me the name of a comercial media provider, the media its self and/or a supplier it would be really appreciated.

it was mentioned here, and also in the lined videos that comercial media is available. I live in the UK could any one give me the name of a comercial media provider, the media its self and/or a supplier it would be really appreciated.
If you can't find Brit source, this U.S. company is very good: http://www.buyfruitflies.com

They use Methyl Paraben as a mould inhibitor, maybe your chemist could order some for you.

Let us know if you have any luck!

Latest posts